improve punishments

Thread: improve punishments

improve punishments

Since we had another thread on the main page that started getting into punishments and laws, I guess I was wondering what , if you had the opportunity, would you do to change people's attitude about following laws?

My own personal opinion is public punishments... remember that kid that got arrested in Singapore a few years ago for vandalism? (It's probably been longer than a few years). Anyway, his punishment was caning, because that's what Singapore laws allowed for.

So, for example, your 14 years old and you want to go for a joyride? You're going to get your butt whipped in front of all your friends and classmates... a little humiliation goes a long ways.

Other countries don't have near the crime we do, and I think it's because we're pussies when it comes to punishment... get caught with alcohol in Saudi Arabia, and you'll wish you were dead. I went to high school with a girl that got caught bringing a joint into Saudi Arabia... last I heard, she got 20 years in a Saudi prison.ok, I can't verify it, but based on their laws, it wouldn't surprise me) Harsh, yeah...big drug problem? I doubt it.

Anyway, I'm kind of old fashioned...I was just wondering what other people think.

Banned
    improve punishments ? your title throws me off a bit.. my first thoughts were.. how can we improve uncle fester's torture rack ? (for those who've seen the adam's family show..lol)
    As much as we'd like to change whole world views and practices.. what point is there in trying to figure out the logic involved ? in any place where such horrific practices occur, do you think they'll see or listen to opposing points of view ? sure, you can educate the people of that country to stand up and fight such oppression at the risk of them losing their lives.. but in the end, our observations rarely change the outcome. Laws are made and carried out within many countries that have stood for years.. the only way to change them is to risk life and limb to oppose them.. something that isn't such a pretty sight..

sorry, I'm in a pessimistic mood tonight..

hmmm.maybe that was my fault jenjen.. I posted in kind of a hurry, and was having trouble formulating my question/ opinion.

I guess I'm not saying that we should change other countries views on crime, but rather learn from them. While I personally think it is harsh to amputate someone's hand for stealing, I can't argue that it is effective.. It absolutely blows my mind that in some countries, police don't carry guns.... here, they are lucky if they are not outgunned.

I think that when we "outlawed" cruel and unusual punishment", we had no way of anticipating the depths to which people would sink. We try children as adults...wtf? What I want to know is how children were allowed to degenerate to the level where they would even consider that in the first place.

lol...yeah, so I'm kind of a hardass when it comes to discipline (meaning I am unfailingly consistent), but my kids are well behaved, and know full well the consequences of their actions, because they know the rules. And I know I can't change anybody's opinion.

lol jenjen...get off my cloud

Banned
    "hey.. hey.. you.. you.. get off of my cloud.. "
    http://www.keno.org/stones_lyrics/ge...f_my_cloud.htm

children degenerate by watching us adults do it.. it's natural..

if you think you're not the provider of poor educational information then you can blame the internet and it's supposed freedom of views..

jumping off the cloud now... weeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

I just think we need to stop giving guys on death row million dollar heart transplants and start charging up the zappy-chair

i kno what kind of crack r they smoking i mean there could be little kids waiting for transplants and yet all the crime commiters insist on commiting them because they kno the attention will become on them when they need a transplant. i saw an example of this once when my mom was watching "ER"
    P-I-M-P

So, for example, your 14 years old and you want to go for a joyride? You're going to get your butt whipped in front of all your friends and classmates... a little humiliation goes a long ways.rs old and you want to go for a joyride? You're going to get your butt whipped in front of all your friends and classmates... a little humiliation goes a long ways.
    If this became true someone would sue if they became messed up later in life. I dont believe violence solves things as far as punishment goes. You mostly end up hating the person who punished you and figure out ways not to get caught in the future. Violence begets violence.

i kno what kind of crack r they smoking i mean there could be little kids waiting for transplants and yet all the crime commiters insist on commiting them because they kno the attention will become on them when they need a transplant. i saw an example of this once when my mom was watching "ER"
    Sorry bud, but ER is a terrible show as far as reality is concerned. My friends mom is a nurse and ends up yelling at the show because they make so many mistakes (and use techniques, medicines) that doctors would not make in real life.

I just think we need to stop giving guys on death row million dollar heart transplants and start charging up the zappy-chair
    I hope you were kidding with this post. The electric chair is one of the most inhumane ways to kill someone. Mainly this is because a lot of the time it does not kill them and they end up burning alive.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

[quote]If this became true someone would sue if they became messed up later in life. I dont believe violence solves things as far as punishment goes. You mostly end up hating the person who punished you and figure out ways not to get caught in the future. Violence begets violence.[/qoute]

Violence begets more violence....I agree with that, sort of. To draw an analogy, (and probably a poor one at that ) You break into my house, steal my TV, and you get caught. IN return, we cut your right hand off during primetime TV, I take everything you own, and get 50% of your lifetime earnings... then is it even really worth it? (this is not how I truly feel, it is just for sake of debate)

We are trying children as adults...how barbaric is that? We have vidoe games where our children can run around and shoot everything they see..it's sanitary, it's fun..then when they get shot, they are surprised it hurts..

To draw another analogy, we work hard to secure our systems, knowing that it is impossible to make them 100% secure. But we try to make it so it is not worthwhile to try and break in.

Originally posted here by groovicus

Violence begets more violence....I agree with that, sort of. To draw an analogy, (and probably a poor one at that ) You break into my house, steal my TV, and you get caught. IN return, we cut your right hand off during primetime TV, I take everything you own, and get 50% of your lifetime earnings... then is it even really worth it? (this is not how I truly feel, it is just for sake of debate)

We are trying children as adults...how barbaric is that? We have vidoe games where our children can run around and shoot everything they see..it's sanitary, it's fun..then when they get shot, they are surprised it hurts..

To draw another analogy, we work hard to secure our systems, knowing that it is impossible to make them 100% secure. But we try to make it so it is not worthwhile to try and break in.
    The trying kids as adults thing is sad, but think about the crimes the kids are committing.

As far as the video games goes:

<rant>I really think that its only the fault of the parent / guardian that kids get violent video games. They are clearly marked on the packaging that they are violent video games. They cannot blame anyone but themselves.</rant>
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I agree, it is sad that we try children as adults. To further carry out my point, chidren don't just all of a sudden decide one day that it is acceptable to shoot someone...somewhere along the lines of growing up, they were never taught that there are harsh consequences for their actions..even being put to death...

I don't think parents are the only ones to blame. My seven year old tried to tell me if I spanked her, she was going to call the police...I told her to pack her s*** and leave. After thinking about it for a minute, she recommended that she should probably just be grounded instead. (smart girl, she knows if she makes me laugh, then her butt is safe )