Thread: linux and windows one machine?

Question linux and windows one machine?

Sup all this really isnt a question based on securety but i need a lil help and i goggled it and that wasnt much help. I have linux slackware and windows me. I read something about parthsioning your hard drive. I only got one hard drive but i dint really understand it. If someone could shine a lil litte in my way i would appresiate it. If there is enything i left out ask for more info.
    EHU

In a nutshell, it's called dual booting. If you have a 40 gig hard drive, you set up (for example) 2 partitions of 20 gigs each. On the first partition, you put windows, on the second partition, you put your slackware.

If you are doing a fresh install, you can use fdisk to create the first partition, then install windows. That should leave you with 1 unpartitioned drive. Then boot up linux, and install it on the second partition. (I'm not sure what slackware uses for a partitioning app). If it's anything like the other linux distros, it should have the option to set up a bootloader (grub or lilo) At least, this is how I did it...

I remember reading somewhere that windows has to be first..I don't know if that's true because I've never tried to do it any other way.

If you are not starting from a fresh install, you have to use an app like partition magic (commercial) or parted (linux) to resize your partitions. Use AO's search feature for "dual boot"...you should pull up a bunch of posts that will help..they will probably have some links with them also.

Elite Hacker
    When you say you have slackware and ME I assume you just have them but haven't installed them yet. Basically, first you will want to install winME. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot to cdrom, then startup the computer with the ME cdrom in the drive, if it asks you if you want to start with cdrom support say yes. at some point if it doesn't automatically go into the setup you should be at a prompt like d:\> or something. If the install started, you want to get out of that however it says to. At the d:\> prompt type "fdisk" without quotes. Here is where you will partition your disk. You will probably want about half for windows and half for slackware, so make a new partition, and have it take up half the space, and make it a primary dos partition. Then just exit out of fdisk, and restart the computer, which you should be able to do by typing restart. Do the same thing to get to the prompt again, and this time type "format c:", then say yes when it asks if you're sure. This will make that partition you just made be able to have windows on it. After that, just type setup and install ME. After you have ME installed, you will want to boot with the slackware cdrom. I have never installed slackware before, but at some point in the install it should prompt you to partition your drive, at that point just use provided partition utility to make probably two or three partitions on the second half of the hard drive that you set for slackware. Make sure you don't mess with your windows partition. For the partitions, you will have one that contains most of the space where you will mount "/", and one that should be at least the size of the amount of ram you have but more like double, so if you have 256 MB, I would use at least a 512 MB partition, this will be your swap partition. Each partition will have to have a filesystem type, for the partition you mount "/" on you should make it I think ext3, but I have never installed slack so I'm not sure. And the swap partition will be linux swap and have no mount point. Then just do the rest of the install and make sure and read everything to make sure it doesn't overwrite windows. Here is a good guide to installing slackware. I would definetly use that over what I just wrote because I have never installed slackware. Also, here is another guide. Good luck.

thanks for the help guys i am doing it right now so far so good.
    EHU