Thread: Registry editor

Registry editor

Not sure where to go with this one. I am looking for a registry editor that is simple to use for a friend that does not know much about computers. I tried google and got way more than I wanted to look thru. I personally have not used one as I prefer to be the only one mucking about in my registry. He’s a real newbie and I am helping him to set up the security on his system and I want to help him maximize his capability while he is learning the stuff he needs to protect himself. He is running XP pro and I was hoping someone here could clue me into a reasonable registry editor that will look for dead entries and stuff that does not belong that will be simple enough for a real newbie.
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Here is one that I've used before: here but there's lot's of others. Your not looking for a registry editor, but a registry cleaner?

Oh, and always be sure to back up your registry before making any changes...just in case.

The search key I would use to find more is "registry cleaner freeware"

Good luck

EDIT: Thanks h3r3tic

thanks for the link I and the correction, not sure what I was thinking about when I typed the post.
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

http://www.xteq.com/ has Xteq Systems X-Setup, that is for Windows XP, it that is what your friend uses. It is a pretty comprehensive program for tweaking XP and doing registry changes.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

seems like a nice tool moxnix but just a little more than he could handle right now. He is the ultimate n00b and is kind of getting on my nerves becuse he is constantly changing settings and playing with stuff he does not understand generaly screwing his computer up then calling me to fix it.

Hmm..then me thinks he should be learning how to install his OS, along with learning how to back things up? Maybe you should suggest that he keep a notebook beside his computer and write down all the changes he makes...that way he could go back and fix it, or at least you would have something to help restore from. I have 2 notebooks with me all the time..one is just for useless ideas, web pages, tools, tweaks, downloads, etc. I keep the other one to keep track of little projects I have going.

Maybe you could go on like a 2 week vacation and force him to learn?

good idea groovicus the vacation that is or I could just unplug my phone and not read any e-mail...