Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Users cling to old Microsoft operating systems

Users cling to old Microsoft operating systems

Microsoft can stop selling older operating systems, and it can even stop supporting them, but that doesn't mean that customers won't still use them.
    Heh this didn't surprise me one bit.
    to read more about it

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5121458.html

This is one place where linux would be great people won;t use the new stuff cuase it costs money.. but after my 3 day wrestling match with linux there aint no 'custemer' of mine that would be interested in using linux niether

I've been in some libraries to fix their computers and i've come across some win 3.1 that they were using. They were offline though so no harm done

I think I would be laughing to hard to even use or fix the computer if it was running Win 3.1

Well most users hate change, even if it means they could be at risk because the company doesn't support it anymore. I know some people that will not let go of Windows 95. It is very sad, but true. Most people that do that do not have the technical ability to run Linux. I definately don't think it is a money issue, it is just not wanting to change. How many people do you remember from back in the day that had Windows 98 and never purchased it? Lol.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

I purchased mine
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

wow, 15+ percent of coporate systems still using win9x systems, thats such a huge security hole, i can't believe they would let that happen, then again i couldn't believe people would steal millions of dollars of corporate money (enron), so i guess anything is possible

quote systmin770 : "most users hate changer" indeed sad but true

speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

/me runs Win98 on one box because money issues
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

My old workplace ran Windows 98 on a P4 Dell with nice LCD monitor. This was part of a big company also... At least it was behind a NAT and they used Novell something-or-another for shared dirs.

My previous school last year upgraded all of their ancient WinNT4 machines to brand-spanking new P4 machines with WinXP, but imaged all of those machines as Win2K. I don't quite think any of this is anywhere related to money, but rather easier management of the computers, keeping users comfortable without letting Windows be too friendly (XP), and moving between the new OS. I'm not exactly sure how smoothly the NT4 Server transition to Win2K Adv. Server went..., but some places need older versions of the OS for compatibility reasons or another.

It took me a year to finally upgrade to WindowsXP Professional, but I still have Windows 98, Windows 2000 and (ghasp) WindowsME OEM's still in the sleeves with the books and license keys. I like haveing the latest and greatest things, but only when the appropriate service packs come out and a lot of the bugs are resolved.