Linux Newbie Question

Thread: Linux Newbie Question

Question Linux Newbie Question

I've been playing around with linux for a little while but I am definately still a newbie. My problem is that my I've got a mandrake box setup on a home network and I use and Linksys firewall to go out. I've left the firewall to the default 192.168.1.1 address b/c it had a fit when I tried to change the address. No big deal, right? Well, I have all my machines on 192.168.0.X addresses. Again, no big deal. I point the windows boxes to the 192.168.1.1 as the address for the gateway and out they go. When I put the linux box on a 0.X IP and point it to the 1.1 gateway I go nowhere. However, if I give the linux box a 1.X address out I go. I changed the resolv.conf under the 0.X IP to use the gateway as the a dns server and the actual IP of my ISP's dns server and still no change. Am I missing something obvious?

What's the subnet mask set to on each device?
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

255.255.255.0 on everything.

Ok, well one thing with IP. It can only talk directly to devices on its own network or subnetwork. Routers enable your subnetwork to talk to the other networks(I.E. Internet). Since your subnet mask is 255.255.255.00, then your subnet is 192.168.1.0. All of your internal computers must have an ip of 192.168.1.X. If you change your ip on your linux box to 192.168.0.X it won't work unless you have it running through some other kind of routing device so it can get to the 192.168.1.0 network.
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Just a quick addition, you could also change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0
    Since we're chatting about sub-netting, it would also solve the problem.
    \"If you take a starving dog in off the street and make him prosperous he will not bite you, this is the principle difference between a dog and a man\" - Mark Twain

Yes. Thanks Gump, I didn't think of that. If you changed your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 then your subnet would be 192.168.0.0. So any 192.168.X.X would work.
    Carrie Fisher