Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSH client from static source port?

SSH client from static source port?

Ok I need some help with this.

I am trying to get an SSH server running on my box from behind a NAT firewall. So far I have been able to successfully test it on loopback. So I know the server is working. I can also see incoming packets to the server if I connect with my external address.

The problem is that the SSH client uses a dynamic, registered source port. So when my SSH server sends a SYN,ACK packet back to the SSH client I am running, it is sending it to the same a registered port, which the NAT firewall is not forwarding to my computer. I could set the firewall up to forward these ports, but the source port that the SSH client uses changes every time you run it.

So what I am looking for is a method to tell the SSH client exactly which source port I want to initiate the connection from so I can set the firewall up to forward it.

I am running openssh 3.7 on Slackware 9.1, kernel version 2.4.22.

Any ideas?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

All you need to do is setup your firewall to port forward port 22 to your server.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Port 22 is forwarded.

However, as I explained, the SSH client uses a dynamic source port. So when the server sends SYN,ACK packets back to the client via my external address on some port like 33367, the firewall drops them since no rule is configured to forward those.

The SYN packets are forwarded quite properly, so I know the client can send them to the server. However, the server cannot send packets back to the client because the client is listening on 33367, or something like that.

The firewall cannot forward these packets, since no rule is set up to do it. The problem is that the port that the client listens on changes evey time it runs.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Do you absolutly have to stay behind the firewall?
    You can create a DMZ and trust on your pc's firewall.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Yes, unfortunately I need the NAT to share Internet with my roommate, at least if I want him to foot half the bill for it. It's not the firewall that's dropping the packets, it's the NAT server that does that.

I think I should be able to connect to the SSH server from outside my network, since the server itself is running fine. I just need to figure out how to do this for local testing.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Imagine a firewall rule like this:

Allow inbound any source port (from 1024 to 65535) to ssh, using NEW, ESTABLISHED or RELATED, tcp protocol
    Allow outbound source port 22 to any destination port, using ESTABLISHED or RELATED, tcp protocol

You should be able to do this using appropriate port forwarding.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

The firewall is currently set to let everything through and log it, so I know it's not a firewall problem. It's a NAT problem. I sense that people aren't understanding the problem correctly, so I'll attach a capture file to this post.

Take a close look at frames 9 and 12, which are sent to my router with SYN and ACK flags set, to port 36474. This is in response to a previous SYN packet, which was successfully forwarded from the router to the server on port 22 from port 36474. When the server sends the SYN,ACK response back to port 36474, the NAT server doesn't know what to do with the packet and drops it. The firewall lets it through.

I could set the NAT server up to forward packets on port 36474, and that would work. But next time I run the SSH client the source port will change and the SSH server will be sending packets to another port, which the NAT server is not configured to forward. I need to set the SSH client to use a static source port.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sigh. The NAT should be configured to look after establishing connections. What are you using for the NAT itself? What about setting up NAT to forward packets that are related to connections that are being established or that are established? And can you setup your nat so that any source port to port 22 is acceptable and the reverse?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just Another Geek
    MsMittens is right. If your router/firewall uses statefull inspection you shouldn't have to worry about the return connections. It'll all be taken care of by the firewall/nat engine.

On my FBSD+IPF firewall I use these rules:

/etc/ipnat.rules:

rdr on ng0 from any to 0.0.0.0/32 port 22 -&gt; 192.168.1.22 port 22

/etc/ipf.rules:

pass in on ng0 from any to 192.168.1.22 port 22 flags S/SA keep state

* Note the keep state at the end of my rule. This will make it possible for the ssh server to respond without blowing a huge hole in my firewall.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I run a ssh server behind a NAT router (using Linux ipchains on Freesco).

I can assure you that the source port used on a TCP server connection is always the same port as the client connected to. It never comes from a different port.

A correctly configured dynamic NAT box will know this, and translate the port numbers correctly. I have been using a similar configuration successfully (under IP Masquerading on Linux 1.3 initially) since before 1997.

This is not a problem specific to ssh - ssh does not behave in a way different from anything else. It is your router's NAT rule configured incorrectly.

Setting your ssh client to use a static source port is not the answer - just get your NAT to work correctly.

Slarty