Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: music downloads are legal

music downloads are legal

Downloading copyrighted music from peer-to-peer networks is legal in Canada
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/13/bu...partner=GOOGLE

This is strange.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

why not most of it's stolen from american companies....j/k
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

hehe, my respect for Canada just greatly increased

If only it was the same down here. *sighs*

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    it basically is the same down here. The government isnt' going after the small time person that downloads a few songs. They want the people that are uploading them. It technically is illegal, but they aven't enforced it very much.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Canada kicks ass. I just wish it wasn't a canadian country.

Music should be phree.

It really isn't worth the while of the government, RIAA or whoever to go after people who download the odd pirated song over p2p, in the same way as some UK police forces don't bother arresting people found in possession of small amounts of cannabis. The cost to the government (and therefore the taxpayer) of tracking down these people and collecting sufficient evidence for a successful prosecution just isn't worth it, especially when there are more serious crimes (e.g. street muggings) to be dealt with. File sharers don't hurt anyone, except the pockets of record company directors, so they're not exactly public enemy number one.

However, try to make money from uploading pirated music and the authorities will be after you pretty damn quickly, if only to ensure that the record companies continue to fund the government's next election campaign.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

really, no matter how you look at it the people are always going to find a way around the laws. they obviously did when music sharing started, because at the time if you checked the laws it was actually never stated that ONLINE sharing was illegal. people will always find a way around the laws, and so i really think that even if big sharing software gets beaten, like kazaa and morpheus, that new ones will come up, just with slightly different ways of sharing, so that they can bypass the laws.

indeed music should be free "flogthebishop" but i disagree with canada kicks ass because it doesnt
    P-I-M-P

I think most people could leave aside national remarks. They lack all relevance regarding this particular discussion.

pwaring made a good point here. Just as a note
    /\\

Originally posted here by LarryKingSux
    indeed music should be free "flogthebishop" but i disagree with canada kicks ass because it doesnt
    Your just bitter over us kicking you ass in 1812
    http://www.galafilm.com/1812/e/backg...kevietnam.html
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots