Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: command prompt

command prompt

Aight, here's the deal.
    My school uses Novell Netware for its networking on Windows 2000.
    Recently, they moved the command prompt from C:/winnt/system32
    First, is this possible ?? doesnt windows like need command prompt?
    Second, where could it have been moved?
    (it's not hidden)
    Any help?
    -Sk0

DogBert,

As far as I know Windows does not need cmd.exe or anything else form the command line to operate. It does it's own thing, always running in the background. They could have removed it or moved it anywhere including a restricted access directory or folder. If they removed it though they would have to contend with the auto replace function that MS started using in 2000. It checks stuff on boot up and rewrites from a DLL file to replace anything that is missing unless you also remove it from the DLL. I can't remember the names of the functions or actual file names right now, but I'm sure someone else will chime in and correct/help me out.
    \"If you take a starving dog in off the street and make him prosperous he will not bite you, this is the principle difference between a dog and a man\" - Mark Twain

Yah... I really do not buy it, but I suppose I can help.

Start -> Run -> (Type in Box without quotes) "command"

-Cheers-

PS: Command prompt freaks the hell out of school people. I had a bad run-in with them. Make sure they are not stupid as ****.

:

Well chances are in a school setting the run menu has also been disabled. The reason the command prompt scares school officials could also be the the prompt pretty much ignores user class restricions and you could start randomly deleting items vital to others.

Yes that is correct. There is most likely a policy in place to not allow access to the command prompt. When I build policies that is one of the first thing I make sure that is instituted. It could be worse. I usually use Novell application loader so that they only have a couple of programs to run and nothing else.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

they probably just hid it, but there is always a way to get it up. i dont think the school would have enough brains (mine certainly doesnt) to move command prompt to another folder. schools definently have a freak policy about seeing DOS open on the screen (fortunately i havent been caught yet), but i know people who have. besides, even when i have it open i dont do anything malicous, i just explore the systems (although you cant blame the scool, as there are quite a few malicous hackers out there). not to say i dont mind logging into the principals account and editing a speech every now or then

if you need cmd.exe just use the one from your own system
    use it to some website, and in school you download it from the website.

Works perfect, thats also the way i got regedit and commands they removed. Like the whole net command serie's.
    They even removed ping.
    yes the school is overprotecting themself, and theyre doing a pretty bad at that as well.
    They run win98, version 2.something of novell and i doubt they patch theire spoftware, since it is so much trouble to make a new ghost image everytime there is a new critical update.
    http://members.home.nl/mcvay/mcvay_chobits_sig.jpg
    Im so good in bed, i moan my own name!

Use a shortcut, rightclick on desktop --> new--->shortcut--->type cmd or command in there

That worked at my school, but them the system admin was a plank....

Of if that doesnt work, burn cmd and the asscociated dll's to a cd and then use that,

i2c

Re: command prompt

Originally posted here by dogbert88
    Aight, here's the deal.
    My school uses Novell Netware for its networking on Windows 2000.
    Recently, they moved the command prompt from C:/winnt/system32
    First, is this possible ?? doesnt windows like need command prompt?
    Second, where could it have been moved?
    (it's not hidden)
    Any help?
    ummm sounds kinda weird... They probally just hid it. umm the new shortcut idea worked at my high school, and also in some versions of word you can run a shell and run programs from it. Never tried it but i heard it works.
    There is only 10 types of people who understand binary those who do and those who don\'t.

Well, I actually found it using the shortcut idea, but the permissions are blocked... lol
    I suppose ill try the download idea...
    -Sk0