Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: command prompt

Deimos326 if you want to reduce your chances of getting caught try to make it look less like a dos box. right click on the title bar select properties and change the background color to white and the text to black. there's nothing more obvious than a black screen opened.

dogbert88 i dont think d/l'ing another copy will help. you need to esculate your privilages with something like pipeadmin (if all the service packs haven't been applied)... of course geting caught doing this gets you expelled
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ted is right. If you get caught you WILL get in trouble no matter what you did. You could be typing out a term paper in "edit" and you would get in trouble. For some reason, anyone that knows how to work a command line that is under the age of 30 is looked upon as trouble.

When I was in school...Well, I'm in college now, but when I was in high school, opening a DOS prompt usually meant the teacher ran over to you to yell. After they got to know me though they just said the hell with it. Don't think that makes it ok though. The teachers at my school were cool with me because they knew I helped clean the system up.

I took off about 50 virii in one week there and had teachers thanking me. I used to get taken out of class when a computer problem arose that the teacher couldn't fix. I am not going to sit here and tell you what not to do though, as that is stopping creativity possibly. But try to not get caught doing anything.

The firewall my school had on all the student machines made it so nothing showed up on the desktop and the only things in the start menu were word and a few other office tools for work. Of course I just rebooted the machine and **** the firewall down and went online, but still, they allowed me extra privs like that because helped.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    According to my sources, it's impossible to remove the Windows 2000 command interpreter to another folder without problems. The GUI will still function, but if a sys file gets corrupted and Win2K calls chkdsk, they've got problems.

If you have access to the run function you can try typing "control userpasswords2" to change the permissions. You will certainly need some admin level privelages to run this, however. A better solution is to use pipeadmin like gore said.

Yeah... this thread brings back memories. Some stupid program called fortress and a DOS 6.22 floppy with NTFStoDOS on it......

Fortess is a joke If you have physical access you can do whatever you want still.

Yes... My computer programing instructor found this out the hard way. It doesn't matter how tight the WinNT 4 permissions on the workstation are (or any other OS for that matter) if the darn thing still does a floppy seek at boot and there is no BIOS password.

Most admins overlook the physical security....the majority of hacks are inside jobs. It's a shame.

See....there I go rambling again....I gotta find that ambien....I know it's round here somewhere........

at my school they blocked access to any folders at all in c you can make a link to system32 and then drag it to ur folder but he made it so like it gives you a tempfile that the number changes ever time so you cant load command or cmd we are running win2k pro

You have had some very good advice from experienced members here:

Ted is right. If you get caught you WILL get in trouble no matter what you did. You could be typing out a term paper in "edit" and you would get in trouble. For some reason, anyone that knows how to work a command line that is under the age of 30 is looked upon as trouble.
    If you want to experiment, please use your OWN equipment. I can assure you that your school admin will not appreciate you experimenting with his livelihood.

I suggest that you take the advice very seriously...........it is not a game........you are right where you can screw up the rest of your lives............so think about it?

Priviledge comes with trust, and trust has to be earned?

Take care

first of all i dont want to be taken wrong...one of the first things that i do when i sit down at a computer is to see how much i can do without resorting to things like privilage esculation its kind of a hobby of mine. if you can get around security without breaking or changing anything then there really isn't security in place to stop you from doing this to begin with. so i really dont feel im breaking any rules.

If for instance i logon to someones aol account as guest. the guest account doesn't allow me to download files. it doesn't stop me from opening a command prompt and using ftp or from opening up ie and using it. have a broken a law if i download something using these methods while logged on to aol...well i guess that would depend on what i downloaded, but thats another issue. of course i always ask first but would i be breaking a rule (outside of rudeness) if o were to do this.

What im saying is, and i could be wrong, that as long as there isn't a sign saying, or no one has said that you can not open a dos prompt or else. and just because the dos prompt has been removed from the start menu and the run box has been disabled, if you can make a bat file on the desktop with 'cmd /k' you haven't broken any rule if a rule has not been stated. it is however best not to let anyone see that you can do this because a rule will be created just for you.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You could run Cmd propms by making a .bat file with all you wanted to run. To make a .bat file open note pad and type in the commands you wnat to use. then save is to desktop the change the .txt to .bat

Here is one flaw i help my admin fix.
    @echo off
    :loop
    net send 127.0.0.1 HI
    :goto loop

I wouldn't get caught messing around with the systems. I made this mistake and nearly got expelled. On a positive note, it did land me a summer job configuring security on all the school district's computers. Unfortunately, it turns out that I was doing it all pro bono...

I miss DOS. Nothing like a bogus autoexec.bat that starts with ctty nul and a loop.... I used to have one that played Dixie over and over!