Put Linux on the new laptop. w00t w00t

Thread: Put Linux on the new laptop. w00t w00t

Cool Put Linux on the new laptop. w00t w00t

I finally put Linux on the new Toshiba Laptop. This thing is sweet now. It is dual booting between Red Hat 9 and Windows XP. The thing that slowed everything down was the damn NTFS crap the HD stuck with. I finally got it resized.

P4 2.3, 512 RAM, built in Atheros 802.11a/b/g wireless, DVD/CD-RW, w00t.

25Gig NTFS for WinXP, 1gig swap for Linux, 30 gig ext3 for Linux, 2 gig vfat for sharing between the two.

I may remove RH and go with SuSE or Slackware in the next few weeks, but for now RH is kicking ass. I still have to have XP for a while.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Sweeet! Is this one of those wide-screen Toshiba notebooks? I have had my eye on one that sounds
    a lot like your description at the local Best Buy. SuSE (or any modern Distro) would kick much ass on
    one of these babies. w00t! w00t!

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

It's a standard 15" TFT. It still kicks ass. The sad thing is, the laptops screen is larger than any tv I own...

I get an employee discount at Best Buy
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I have a similar laptop with an almost identical setup, except a slightly smaller hard disk (40Gb in total IIRC) and it has a Centrino 1.3 Ghz (runs at 2.1+ Ghz approximately). We run Red Hat 9 at uni and one of the lecturers gives out RH9 cds that setup our machines the same as the ones in our department so we have the same tools available (mainly the Java SDK, but some other bits and bobs that don't come as standard with RH9).

I got a discount because I'm a student.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.