Blocking Certain File Downloads

Thread: Blocking Certain File Downloads

Blocking Certain File Downloads

I was just wondering is there a way that you can disallow *.wmv , *.mpg video files to not be downloaded in Windows 98 ?
    Through Internet Explorer ? Cause I can't figure out how to do it. I have searched the net and have so far been unsuccesful in finding an answer.
    Any suggestions would be great .
    Thanks ..
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

so far that i know of, there is no way of doing that with internet explorer. i think theyre might be some other browsers that you could do that with, but im really not sure.im also looking into it now... an excellent question agentsteal

Hi,

AFAIK there is no way to restrict the download of file types in Win98. it is effectively a single user system that assumes that the User has admin rights.

I have never tried it in IE, but I have not seen any obvious way. I would be inclined to look at policies in a firewall? but as the User has physical access (which in Win98 means that they effectively own it) the firewall would have to be on the sole means of net access?

It would be possible to write a script to run on the local machine, but that could be circumvented by the local user.

All I can suggest is only cooect via a network, and use the firewall?

Good luck

Basically so far what I have done is just disallowed Windows Media Player from connecting to the internet with Zone Alarm [ Free Version ].

Nihil could you give me some insight as to how I could go into making that script. Could you not just password protect that script ? Just wondering .

But thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam