Breaking news: Saddam is captured
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news: Saddam is captured

Lightbulb Breaking news: Saddam is captured

Finally they got the bastard!!
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298

[glowpurple]Thank God! ! ! ! ! ! [/glowpurple]
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Yup.. but still doesn't prove weapons of mass destruction. Just means he'll (hopefully) go on trial for crimes against humanity. (which should have happened in 1991)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I agree MsMittens, but he had used weapons of mass destruction in Koerdistan and in Iran.
    Remember...the most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=298

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    In 1991. For which he should be charged and tried on Weapons of Mass Destruction. (It's Kurdistan). I've seen the videos of the mustard gas he used against the Kurds (was part of my training when I was communications for Armed Forces).

They still never found any weapons that were built since 1991, after he was asked to dismantle the weapons factories. I wonder if this might interfere with his trial or be used for a defense or something. One of those awful little technicalities we hear criminals getting off on.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    The whole thing makes me sick.

Not only did they never find any weapons of mass destruction, but the weapons he DID use is 1991 were essentially SUPPLIED by the United States.

In my opinion, the United States has no place in this. If the Iraqi's or the world want to try him- so be it. If he had OJ's lawyers I bet he could get off on the charges. Certainly many other world leaders are guilty of equal or greater crimes.

OH!! How about if a powerful government leader lies about evidence to create a false reason to invade a country for personal gain and kills thousands in the process- of the "enemy" and his own soldiers???? Now THAT is worthy of being tried for crimes against humanity and the world. Will GW's trial be on pay-per-view?

I may just turn the ****ing TV off for the next 3 days. I will puke if I have to listen to Bush spin this as some major victory- once again trying to draw focus away from the fact that we have never found the WMD he invented to justify attacking in the first place.

I don't believe Saddam is a saint- I just don't think he's any worse than many government leaders- my own country not excluded- and I don't think that the United States has any right to try and impose its will or chosen style of government on anyone.

I'll bet you could draw a hundred comparisons between things Bush has done and said post-9/11 and things Hitler did and said pre-WWII. All of this in the name of freedom, democracy and the fight against terrorism- right.

Token drunken Irish guy
    Originally posted here by tonybradley

I may just turn the ****ing TV off for the next 3 days. I will puke if I have to listen to Bush spin this as some major victory- once again trying to draw focus away from the fact that we have never found the WMD he invented to justify attacking in the first place.

I feel the same, there is no way I could watch Bush gloating about his victory for 'democracy' 'freedom' etc. whatever he covers his agenda with.

I'm glad they caught the bastard. CNN.com has a cool picture of him, too. ;D

BTW: Bush is going to gloat about this. It's not his fault, he's a politician.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

About time they caught the bastard

After hes killed more than 1 million people, its about time we've got him.

Now we will be able to try him in Iraq, and the World Court.
    =

Originally posted here by tonybradley
    I don't believe Saddam is a saint- I just don't think he's any worse than many government leaders- my own country not excluded- and I don't think that the United States has any right to try and impose its will or chosen style of government on anyone,
    You can't really compare Saddam with George Bush, Tony Blair or indeed most of the leaders of developed countries. Sure, you might not agree with the war or a lot of the decision George Bush has made, but at the end of the day they haven't tortured and murdered thousands of innocent people. Tony Blair might be a bit of an idiot at times, but I'd sooner have him in charge of the country than Saddam Hussain. At least the fact that I don't like Tony Blair doesn't put my life in danger or give me reason to flee the country.

If the US/UK had given some other reason for invading Iraq (e.g. to liberate the innocent people living there) than the Weapons of Mass Destruction, then there wouldn't be as much debate about the whole issue. The only reason the press have latched onto the story is that they can constantly criticise the government and joke about non-existant WMDs - which makes a good story because people enjoy having a laugh at the government's expense.

George Bush will use Saddam's capture as justification for the war and as a publicity stunt - he's a politician and I'd expect nothing less of him. It allows him to please the pro-war people whilst having a dig at the people who opposed the war - a win-win situation.

As for the troops who died (American, British, Polish and others), well that's part of the risk they take. Being in the army means that you have to be prepared to sacrifice your life for the freedom of innocent people, and if the government tells you to go to Iraq to fight Saddam, then that's what you do. Perhaps more troops died than was necessary, but that's partially because the soldiers loyal to Saddam put up more of a resistance than was expected, and the appauling accuracy of American troops (IIRC, they managed to blow up a truck containing journalists when they were supposed to be attacking Iraqi tanks).

Anyway, Saddam is captured now, which should hopefully break the backbone of the forces who still support him. I expect that the remaining people on the pack of cards hitlist will either surrender or be handed over to coalition forces within the next month or so.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.