What a hell means 'no dialtone'????

Thread: What a hell means 'no dialtone'????

Question What a hell means 'no dialtone'????

I have a suse linux distribution and when trying to connect to the internet I see on the log window a message "NO DIALTONE"....( i have configured the modem properly or that is what i think)....what shlould I do ? IS the kppp thing relevant????

Developer Extraordinar
    How are you dialing up your internet? Are you sure the phone plug is plugged into the computer and the wall, and are you sure there isn't a phone off the hook, or someone on it?

Peace

MB
    Come to UnError.com

I would suggest attaching a normal telephone to the socket to see that it works, and is not "engaged"

Then try a different connection cable to the PC. It should "lock" at both the socket and computer ends. They are not very expensive and not always that well made. If you gently pull (tug) on the cable at either end and it pops out, then you need a different one. I have had this problem quite a few times, it is usually the computer end that is the problem. I have also found cases where just swapping the connector from one machine to another made them BOTH work

Try this first, if you do not find a solution then we will have to look at your modem.

One weird incident I came across was when a bolt of lightning hit an oak tree about 50 feet from the phone socket. I tested the modem settings, diagnostics etc. and everything was fine apart from the "no dial tone". I tested the phone line and it was OK. The machine worked fine with an external modem. It turmend out that the EMP (electro magnetic pulse) from the lightning strike had fried the line input side of the modem. i replaced the modem and it worked just fine, so you might try with another modem as well?

Good luck

Check to see if you have any messages waiting. Most phone companies provide an interrupted dial tone to tell you when you have messages, which a dailer will not recognize.

Or try telling your dialer to not wait for a dial tone.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Or try telling your dialer to not wait for a dial tone.
    Beat me to it. I had this exact problem. My phone company added this
    "service", and my computer suddenly quit dialing, saying "no dial tone".

I pick up the phone and it sounds more like a "busy" signal.
    So I configured DUN to not wait for a dial tone.

Whether a Linux dialing prog can be set that way I dunno.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Hi again!
    First of all thanks to all for spending time to answer to my question. It's the first time I am on a community such as antionline and I am really happy not being ignored and being given attention to my (computer) problems.Now I should be a little bit more explanatory: I have a PC (2.66 GHz) which runs on xp and a Linux Suse 8.2... I have two modems: a winmodem Microcom Inporte Home(which I didn't succeed to use on linux even after searching linmodems.org and other sites for drivers and advice) and a Micronet Shuttle 3000 56k which is a bit old but anyway...I read carefully all the answers and I tried to see if there is any 'hardware' problem (modem's connection with computer and phone,phone line,etc)...I did not find anything strange and I have to say that his modem worked fine on my previous pc and even on xp (only with some problems concerning compatibility). Then I tried again...no solution. I saw the logfile which gives me sth like that:
    Wvdial:Internet dialer version 1.42
    initializing modem
    sending ATZ
    OK
    SENDING: AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    OK
    SENDING:ATM1
    ATM1
    OK
    MODEM INITIALISED
    SENDING:ATD8962575757 *(THE ISP NUMBER)*
    WAITING FOR CARRIER
    NO DIAL TONE

Euhhh???
    Then I tried to reconfigure my modem and tried to find the option about not waiting dial tone...(then it was when my mouse stopped moving but that is another story) I dont know if a changed the right thing(could you tell me where exactly is that option?)
    Still no solution...
    Hope next time i connect on antionline that will be from mozilla and not from ms internet explorer!!!
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

If your had configured it to not wait for a dial tone, you wouldn't be seeing a "no dial tone" error message in there.

This might as simple as an interrupted dial tone, or it could be a symptom of another proble. Either was, if you set the dialer to not wait for a dial tone it should either work, or at least tell you what the real problem is.

Another idea here... if you get an interrupted dial tone when messages are waiting you should be able to disable that feature in your messaging system somewhere. I know mine is called "message notification on/off" and it's pretty easy to disable.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!