Thread: windows installation error ..

windows installation error ..

I recently replaced my motherboard and processor..
    Windows ran .. but I thought it best to format the hard drive to give it a clean start.. via format and reinstall of windows.

When attempting to setup windows I have recieved the following error messages...
    What are these error messages caused by, what are they saying, and how do I fix them to continue with the installation.

If more information is needed, I will be glad to comply.

Thank You,
    Dixon.

Win98:
    Standard Mode: Fault in MS-DOS Extener.
    EC=0B7C CS=0053 IP=14FB AX=004B BX=00FB CX=0003 DX=0B8F
    SI=85D0 DI=0190 BP=8404 ds=004B ES=004B SS=004B SP=233A
    Win95:
    Standard Mode: Fault in MS-DOS Extener.
    .. ...
    .. ...
    (Similar to the Win98 error message but the output was slightly different)

WinXP
    Trap 000000010 === ... === Exception === ... ===
    tr = FFFF cr0 = 000000000 cr2 = 00000000 cr3 = 00000000
    gmt limit = 03FF base 000170000 ldt limit 07FF base 00017400

cs:cip = 0012:000000058 ss:csp = 00301410 errcode = 0000
    flags 006000000 NoCy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
    eax 00000010 ebx 534D0032 ecx 000000002 edx 00000DAF ds = 0032 cs = 0014AE
    edi 0004C8B0 esi 000014CA ebp 000014AE cr0 = 00000000 fs 0010 gs = 0010

BIOS Bomber
    I'm no expert in hardware so youll have to wait untill someone who knows what the hell they are talking about comes on for most of your answer. But, two things:

1. That looks to me like some kind of kernel error. Thats the only other time iv ever seen the word "trap" as an error. A little more info would help, like for example, is it just not installing and is still useable? or is it totally screwed and not working?

Did you check to see if the cables are securely on the peripherals? when you put the processor in, did you make sure the lil stick shaped thingy was securely locking it down?

did you read the AO forum messages and see this forum was only for site related quetions? I know it throws people off. they really should put this forum in another area, because people post here weekly with another question, and i havnt seen even one person post here with a question on topic.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

info

Thank you for your quick reply mandraketux.

More info ...
    Windows 'is just not installing'.
    After I installed the motherboard into the system. I booted it up (under win98) I let it run for about 10 min (not long enough to really be a test of any sort) but windows did run. I decided a clean start would be better so I formated it and attempted to reinstall wind98 where I recived the first error message (windows scans the disks then goes into its installation, where one has the option of continuing or aborting the fist error message appears.) unable to install win98 I attempted win95 similar results... After which I tried XP which when attempting to fboot from the cd yeilds the above error message..
    (depends on your definition of usable I can use it in dos (off of a boot disk) but find it a waste of a 2.6 gig machine and a 20 gig harddisk)

The cables are secure... and yes the processor is locked down into its socket.

[sorry about postign here, mandraketux you are right about this forums purpose, I did not notice that the description I skimmed through the titles and this fourm looked like the best place to post under that method. If anyone with the power sees fit to move this post to a more appropriate forum do so freely. I could mark this post as hidden and repost it in the hardware forum but I do not think people would take kindly to a double post.]

I think your problem is with the master boot record.. altougth memory can cause wierd faults.

What you really should be doing if you want to do a clean install is to wipe out any partitions with fdisk (run from a bootdisk) repartition it with whatever partition type desired.. FAT or ntfs for xp, then format and install the OS.. once your done with the basic install, don't forget to install the motherboard chipset drivers first then your other drivers for video/sound/nic/modem etc..

What kind of hard drive are you using? Is this the first time you've tried to reformat and reinstall your OS?

Does your motherboard have a Clear CMOS/Bios jumper or firmware write protect setting? If you haven't disabled boot partition virus protection in CMOS, you will run into problems installing.

Many hard drives have proprietary disk management software installed which can sometimes create difficulties when you try to reinstall an operating system. To ensure you have a clean AND complete uninstall use the Debug Utility from your 98 floppy (instructions from Award "Bios Secrets Guide":

Debug Utility - Deletes all data on the master boot record of the drive
    Note: This deletes everything on the hard drive.

1. Boot the system from a DOS floppy disk. This must be a bootable DOS 5.0 or above disk. The floppy must have these DOS files: FDISK.EXE, FORMAT.COM, DEBUG.EXE and SYS.COM.
    2. Type debug and enter these lines at the prompt:
    F 200 L200 0
    a 100 [Note: at this point the prompt will change]
    mov ax,301
    mov bx,200
    mov cx,1
    mov dx,0080 [Note: use 0081 for second fixed disk.]
    int 13
    int 3
    [Press Enter to leave a blank space here.]
    G=100
    q
    Then press the Enter key. The drive should now have no partitions on it. Use Fdisk to set up the drive and then format it according to your operating systems’ manual.
    To partition the drive:
    3. At the A: prompt, type fdisk. (Note: For Drives larger than 8.4Gig you will need WIN 98 or higher)
    4. Select option 5 to choose a drive in a two or more drive system.
    5. Type the number of the drive you want to partition.
    Warning! FDISK will automatically partition the first physical drive, unless specified otherwise, from within menu choice 5. If you have a working first drive, then you will not want to re-partition it.
    6. You are now back at the main menu. Select option 1 to create a primary DOS partition or logical drive.
    7. Select 1 again to create a primary DOS partition.
    8. Press Enter to choose the available size. Reboot when instructed.
    To format the drive:
    1. Boot the system from a DOS floppy disk. This must be a bootable DOS 5.0 or above disk (the WIN 9x startup disk is OK). The floppy must have these DOS files: FDISK.EXE, FORMAT.COM,
    DEBUG.EXE and SYS.COM.
    2. At the prompt, type FORMAT c: /u /s. Press Enter to confirm that this is what you want to do.
    Note: If this is the second drive you are formatting, replace the drive letter C above for the letter of the drive that you are formatting.
    3. When the disk is formatted, the A: prompt reappears.

See if any of this helps - hopefully it will.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Con't ...

Thank you for you ideas and suggestions..

The hard disk is a seagate.

This is my first time installing the OS with this motherboard. Although, In the past have installed win3.x, win95, and win98 many times on many machines. Also this is my first time attempting to install a ntfs OS such as winXP that has come to any form of complications.

Yes, it has the 'clear cmos' jumper pin, next to the battery.

Thank you for the information on the debuging tool. I will read more about it when I have some time on my hands (I do not like the assembler like commands.)

The problem still exisits. I have tried various variations and twists of the suggestions but to no avail.

Motherboard is made by Soyo
    KT400 Dragon Ultra (black ed.)
    amd atholon xp 2600+
    512 md pc2700 ddr 3333mHz
    (mem issue noteded in knowledge base, but it 'should' work.)
    [for the more information: http://www.soyousa/products/proddesc.php?185]

I will contintinue to attempt the installation of an OS next week (fri) when I return (away on business until that time)

Until then Ticonderoga

Ticonderoga -
    I did a bit of searching to see if I could find out anything more on your particular problem. When you refer to the Knowledge Base article re: memory I'm assuming it was 87239. Have you tried different memory?

Since you are a bit hesitant on using the Debugging Tool, here are a few options that may help.

** 1. Run fdisk, delete all partitions.
    2. Exit fdisk and at the command prompt type: fdisk /mbr to ensure you begin with a clean Master Boot Record.
    3. Reboot, set up new partitions, reboot with CDRom support, format the drive.
    4. At the command prompt, change to the C: directory.
    5. On C:\ make a directory "win98ins" (Without quotes).
    6. Go to your CD, and copy ALL the files located in the D:\win98 subfolder (where D: is your CDRom drive) to C:\win98ins.
    7. Change back to the C:\win98ins directory.
    8. At the prompt type: setup - to begin installation from your hard drive.

** 1. On another system, copy ALL files located in the \win98 directory to the Seagate drive.
    2. Do steps 1 - 3, as noted above (the only exception is that CDRom support is not needed).
    3. At the command prompt, change to the directory on the Seagate drive where you copied the win98 files.
    4. Type: setup - to begin installation.

** 1. Download the installation and/or diagnostic tools from Seagate (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...s/discwiz.html) OR
    2. With the Seagate drive hooked up to another working Windows based system WITH a Seagate drive, run the Seagate on-line hard drive utilities.

Please make sure to check to see which file and operating systems are supported before running any of these utilities, as some support only Fat16 or Fat32 files and operating systems up to Windows 2000.

There is a program called wd_clear.exe (from Western Digital) which works on all IDE drives. It contains 3 tests. Test 1 verifies a hard drive, Test 2 writes 00s to the drive and Test 3 writes 00s to cylinder 0 which removes the boot sector, fat tables, partition information and any operating system records. Tests 1 and 2 will report all errors encountered. You should be able to download at: ftp://ftp.wdc.com/drivers/hdutil/wd_clear.exe

I hope something here will be of help to you. Good Luck.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.