Ideas about pri/sec burner cable

Thread: Ideas about pri/sec burner cable

Ideas about pri/sec burner cable

Does it matter weather my burner is on a 80 ide cable or 40, because when i set it as master on my secondarey ide cable with the 40 cable it does not detect but will if i put it as slave with my hard drive on the primary ide 80 cable.

I am woundering this because if I choose bios to use cdrom as my boot device it will take that as my burner not my cdrom.

My fear is that if i am running knoppix linux off my burner if that would put stress on it and maybe I should not do that otherwise i am happy with my current setup.

Ideas?

AO French Antique News Whore
    It's the first time I ear IDE Cable with 80 pin!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Are the jumpers configured for autodetect? It may be that this feature won't work on a single cable.

If so, try specifyng exctly what to set the drive as on the jumpers, In this case, master.

Oh, and on Cable Select the master and slave positions are reversed also. It may then be trying to configure the drive as slave when it'd actually the master.

****. Wait. We can't use these terms anymore, at least not according to Califoria's Office of Affirmative Action. We're supposed to use primary and secondary instead of master and slave now. Geez, give me a break.

Anyway, hope I helped.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

What machine have you got?

I too do not understand "80 pin IDE".............probably because there is no such thing?

I am really guessing here Is it an old corporate server that you have there? I am starting to suspect that you have some EIDE components and some SCSI?

Can you give us some details about your hardware and operating system?

I am not sure what a mixed SCSI/EIDE environment will do?

Cheers

Here is an attached picture of both an 80 cable and a 40 cable.

I have never used cable select, always choose master or slave. My current hardware setup is a 40GB HDD on the primary IDE Cable, and my burner also on the end of the primary IDE cable. Hard Drive jumppered as master and burner jumpered as slave. Then on my secondary IDE I have only my CD-ROM set as master. This will detect fine and boot the system with full access to all three devices. I have also configured BIOS to use my cdrom as the first boot device, followed by floppy then HDD0.

My concern is that with this settup, if I run say Knoppix linux, I must insert it into my burner for the BIOS to boot of the cdrom, it thinks my bruner is the cdrom since it is the first such device found. So I do not want to put excessive strain on the burner with my linux distro incase that damages it.

I am unaware if this would damage a burner by haveing it read and write periodicaly perhaps hours at a time. Do you think this is nothing to wory about?

I wish to instead have my cdrom and hard drive on the pri ide and burner singe on my sec ide. This way I can put a cd rom in and it can boot. But I only have one 80 cable and one 40.

This is my delema.

ive desided I will keep my existing setup, however do you think that by running a live linux distro such as knoppix from the burner instead of the cd rom, weather this would put too much stress on the burner. But i guess other way around it would stress the cd rom if that was the boot device.

do you agree it would be safe to continue booting from burner?

The 80 conductor cable meets the latest and highest standards for speed,
    and is also suitable for "cable select" BTW, it still only has 40 pins in the
    connectors, and is compatible with all ide devices.

Use the 80 cable for your fastest devices. Better yet, get another one.
    It is the standard. Throw the 40's away.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

ok i am gona ask my friend if he has a spare 80 cable, as I only have 1 80 and a bunch of 40's.

if I put a fast device like my philips cdrw 2400 burner on the 40 cable does this do any damage, or is it just slower?

A CDRW is a lot slower than a hard drive anyway, so I can't imagine any harm
    no matter how you connect it.

Faster devices need the superior cacles, in order to communicate at their true potential.

The 80-conductor cable was first defined with the original Ultra DMA modes 0, 1 and 2, covering transfer speeds up to 33.3 MB/s. The cable is considered "optional" for those modes. However, for any Ultra DMA modes above mode 2, the 80-conductor cable is mandatory.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...Cable80-c.html
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I thank you for this information, it has been what I was looking for.

I just purchased a 80 cable 2 hours ago, for 10 CDN and 11.5 after tax and debt card. Another store was asking 29 dolars for one and I said forget it. But it works great and so I set cable select on both the cd rom and the burner and put them both on the new cable which is the secondary ide cable. Runs alot faster now, thanks alot.