PC problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC problem

Arrow PC problem

After a long period using my computer.... it performs sluggish... what are the softwares that you use to clean your registry, reductant files etc to keep your system performance in tip-top condition.

Sorry. i really have no idea where this thread should go

Hi,

What machine do you have, what are its specifications (memory, hard drive etc) and what operating system are you using?

How long have you been using it?

There are lots of tweaks I could suggest, but not without the information I have asked for......I would not want to give you bad advice

Good luck

there are a couple of things that you can download that will help clean out some stuff. One piece of software is Ad-aware by lavasoft. I think that it is located at lavasoft.com, if you do a search on google you'll find it there. Another one is Spybot, that one works well too. Another thing that you might want to try is clearing out your cookies through IE go to tools internet options and delete cookies and files. And the ultimate thing which I find myself doing is just reformat. If you have a way to backup your information I find that this is the best way because starting fresh is very refreshing!! I hope that this helps and I hope that you have a wonderful day.
    JP

what operating system are you using
    Isn't that obvious nihil?
    ->
    what are the softwares that you use to clean your REGISTRY

You should also defragment your harddisk if you have that pc already for a while.
    There are lot's of threads about this stuff, you can search the forums.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I'm using WinXp

UHUH?
    Isn't that obvious nihil?
    how is it obvious, users are still working on pc's ranging from win 2.1 to win XP, Not sure about registry's in pre win 95 machines but it makes a differance, work on an NT vbased machine compared to 9x system big differance.

The first thing to do is check your task maager for any abnormal activity. Ad aware and spy bot will deal with these annoying programs (mostly net downloaded things, gator and the like)

If there is anything useing a great deal of resources check it out, it may not be legit . Several virII can be picked up this way, likewise malware.

If this dosn't turn up anything check your HDD space. Windows Xp likes 15% free to do all those wonderfull things it does. Even with 1Gb of ram my machine likes to have massive amounts of free HDD space. I mean after all it is a MS OS.

Uninstall all those programs you installed but never really got around to useing. May not be making a differance but it is general PC maintenence that helps in a ll area's with your PC use.

As was said earlier clear your IE cache cookies etc... blah blah.

Check your virtual ram settings, they shouldn't have changed but some pople like to screw with things they shouldn't. Set it either to let windows configer or use this simple formulae

minimum virtual ram = 175% of actuall ram
    maximum = 200% actual ram

this is a safe bet to help out with certain memory problems all windows OS seem to have on occasion

SCAN DISK DISK DEFRAG, run these regularly. Why don't people do this. It takes a while but it's worth it. It is amazing how much a defrag will help (Especially on FAT 32 HDD partitions)

Listen to your computer, if a bearing has gone in a fan this will affect it's cooling therefore performance. Check it for temps, most mobo's come with software but if not go to your manufacturers website, there will be a software app for this (Unless it's real ancient or real cheap) sorry I don't know f any all round tools for this but they are available.

Driver updates and windows updates, these are important, but probably not your issue.

After doing all these lovely things it's time to edit your startup stuff.

MS Config is a built in utility for windows to get into the registry easy and remove startup programs. For a beginner I would suggest ONLY editing startup stuff. Get rid of non essentials. If ya remove something and your Nortan dosn't apear next restart You probably removed nortan from your startup re-enable it. This is how I run my pc normally I just continuously remove annoying things from the startup and keep my machine clean I forget about the registry unless I havea virus or malware infection thing.

So go forth and be tech. Save yourself some money.

I like Norton Utilities. It has solved a lot of problems for
    me over a long period of time. It is good with registry problems,
    in addition to the standard stuff like defragging. It also has a
    HEX editor, and you can manually edit FAT and directory data.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Regal Making Handler
    There is some good advise above but the first thing i would do is look at what services you have running ctrl, alt, delete to bring up the task manager.

I have just wiped my laptop's hdd and done a fresh install, before i did this there was 43 services running now there is 23 and my laptop is running like it's a new machine again.

You can achieve the same effect by killing all the unnecessary services. Use the Administrative tools in control panel to disable all unnecessary services.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

It's generally a good idea every now and again to just start over from scratch. Find all the files you want to keep, burn the hard drive to CD or DVD, or whatever to keep all your old stuff. The reinstall Windows. That's usually the best way to get a system running well again. It may be the most difficult and time-consuming way, but it is also the most effective.

If that is not possible, the suggestions mentioned above will work wonders.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by Striek
    It's generally a good idea every now and again to just start over from scratch. Find all the files you want to keep, burn the hard drive to CD or DVD, or whatever to keep all your old stuff. The reinstall Windows. That's usually the best way to get a system running well again. It may be the most difficult and time-consuming way, but it is also the most effective.

If that is not possible, the suggestions mentioned above will work wonders.
    I have got to agree with you on the above, as that is exactly what I do, but would say it can actually save a lot more time rather than messing around with a clean up, especially if all your files are backed up