Thread: Help Installing Knoppix

Question Help Installing Knoppix

I'm totally new to the Unix world.....
    i would like to know, if it's possible, how to put my knoppix 3.2 Liveeval in my HD...
    What must I do?
    Could somebody help me?
    Thanx...

To get Knoppix installed onto your hard drive:

Boot the Knoppix CD.

When the boot prompt comes up, choose your language.
    Most of us speak English, so we'll type:
    boot: knoppix lang=en
    then press ENTER (you don't type the 'boot:' part, of course)

Wait till the system is fully launched, including the KDE desktop

Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

Type: knx-hdinstall

Follow the guided installation menus. This will include:

Creating a Linux partition (at least 2.5GB
    Creating a Linux Swap partition (at least 256MB)
    'Mounting' the Linux partition as root
    Initialising the swap partition
    Copying all the required files (automatically)
    Setting up networking
    Setting passwords
    Setting up the bootloader (Note: take care with this stage - it could render your system incapable of booting into Windows. If you really need Windows, then it might be a good idea to set up GRUB Bootloader with a 'chainloader' entry, so that you can dual boot. Working this out is an exercise left to the reader - there are too many possible scenarios for me to cover in this short guide. Also see man grub and the files in /usr/share/doc/grub)
    Rebooting (without the CD)

When you've rebooted Knoppix from your hard disk, click on the KDE Control Centre icon in the launcher at the bottom of the screen (icon of a colour monitor with a card in front of it)

Within the Control Center, click on Personliche Einstellungen

Click on Land und Sprache

Choose the locale and language of your choice

Click on Andwenden at bottom of that window

Close and restart the Control Center

Click on Peripherals, then Keyboard, and choose your preferred keyboard layout (which will probably be US.English. Click OK and close the window

Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to the root console, and log in as root (using the password you chose when you ran the installer)

(Optional) - type apt-get update (followed by ENTER). This will update your list of available packages, and takes about 5-10 minutes.

Hey, presto, you've got a fully installed GNU/Linux desktop

From here on in, you'll probably want to fine-tune a few things, set up themes, backgrounds etc. But most of the hard work is already done for you!

And lastly, note that Knoppix is based on Debian, which is arguably the finest GNU/Linux infrastructure available. To learn more about your system, and how to add/change/remove software, go to the Debian website and read the documents. If you get really stuck, start up X-Chat and log into irc.debian.org or irc.openprojects.net and join channel #debian. That is one busy chat room, with Debian Linux experts present 24/7, willing to help.
    http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/knx-install.htm
    =

Installation

1. Boot the Knoppix CD. If you have problems booting from CDROM, use a utility like the Smart Boot Manager.
    2. When the boot prompt comes up, you can choose your language. Hitting the F2 key will show you more options.

boot: knoppix lang=us 2

and hit ENTER. The 2 option is passed so that X will not load, and you will have more memory for the installation. However, this assumes that you've tried to boot Knoppix at least once and you were satisfied with the entire "package" off the CD.
    3. You will now be at a root console. The application you want to run is knx-hdinstall (which is located in /usr/local/bin, and already in your PATH).

4. Now, follow the guided installation:
    * You will be faced with cfdisk to create Linux partitions. Suggest one of at least 2.5GB to be mounted as / (type 83 - this is the "linux" filesystem)
    * You will need a swap partition, of at least 256MB (type 82 - this is the "linux swap" filesystem)

Creating other partitions are at free will, if needed, but if you have no experience with Linux, it might be best to not create any more partitions and just stick to the above.
    * When it comes to choose what you're going to use for your / filesystem, you're given the option of ext2, ext3, ReiserFS or even XFS. Personally, I went with ext3 as a filesystem.

ext3 is well supported with Linux, and is based on ext2, just that the ext3 filesystem is journalled. SGI's XFS is a somewhat popular choice, as is ReiserFS with some. Each filesystem seems to have its own range of advantages, and here again is the great choice we have with GNU/Linux.
    * It is now meant to take up to 10-40 minutes to copy files automatically - it took me a good 1/2 an hour.
    * Now, come the networking questions:
    o smail - mail server of choice (I selected No)

smail is a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA). To do normal POP/IMAP mail, a MTA isn't required. If you check your mail via webmail, again you only require a browser and not an MTA. If the need to install an MTA does arise, the usage of the apt-get tool will come in handy (this applies to installing all that I select No for actually).
    o SSH - provides secure remote access (I selected Yes)
    o samba - provides file sharing with Windows machines (I selected Yes)
    o cups - provides printing support (I selected No)
    o kdm - starts a graphical KDE login by default (I selected No)

Points to note are that cups and kdm might be something an average user would like to start, so that there's always a graphical feel to the Linux usage and that printing works!
    o Give your machine a hostname (I typed dobby)
    o Use DHCP to get an IP and Internet access? (I selected Yes)
    * Set up the passwords; one for root and one for the user knoppix
    * Set up the bootloader, LILO on the MBR. If you have a dual-boot setup, suggest that GRUB is used, and you read further documentation on how this is done.
    * Is a boot floppy necessary? You decide (I selected No).
    * Reboot

5. Once Knoppix is rebooted, you'll see the standard login prompt, showing that its a "Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable" branch with a Knoppix (kernel 2.4.20-xfs) kernel. If you installed kdm, a graphical login screen will show.

6. You may now login as the root user. And for security reasons, remove the knoppix user account and create another one for yourself (by doing a adduser and following the on-screen instructions). Why delete a the knoppix user? If your system is wide-open on the Internet, an attacked already knowing a user would make it easier to try and crack into the machine; besides, would you rather run as your own username or as knoppix?
    * deluser knoppix - deletes the knoppix user from /etc/passwd
    * delgroup knoppix - deletes the knoppix group from /etc/group

WAIT! - It has been mentioned that newbies may not want to follow point 6.

7. Now with your new user account, login to the system and KDE will be brought up. Well, a customisation screen at least (what I recommend is stated, you're welcome to change it if your locale settings differ):
    * Bitte wahlen Sie ein Land aus: You can change this to Amerika, Nordiiches -> USA
    * Bitte wahlen Sie eine Sprache aus: And this to Sonstige -> Englisch(US)
    * Click Nachster

When it comes to changing the settings to Amerika, Nordiiches -> USA there is also an option that you can use to change it to an Australian setting. That really seems to be a "regional" setting. The next option however is very much the "language" setting and Australian English isn't within the available locales. Asien & Ozeanien -> Australien is what you will do.

8. The entire customisation is now in English. It starts KDE with a Knoppix 3.2 logo instead of the regular KDE one (think of RedHat and how they've made Bluecurve a part of it).

9. Your keyboard will need a bit of remapping, or else the ":" or the "/" keys will not work. Click the KDE Control Center icon (big one at the bottom that looks like a colour monitor with a card in front of it) or get there via the Menu. There, go to Regional & Accessibility -> Keyboard Layout and change it to US English (from the default of German).

Note: The changes you make here are only for the said user, and do not apply globally. If you create another user, the above steps of "localisation" will need to be repeated.

10. You now have a fully installed, English GNU/Linux desktop system, with Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, KDE, and many other interesting utilities.

http://librenix.com/?inode=3250

Dam Cheyyene you googled me faster
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche