stupid command prompt

Thread: stupid command prompt

stupid command prompt

this is really weird, but sometimes when i open command prompt a lot of commands arent found. most or all of them are related to the internet. for example, ping, ftp, and telnet all do not function. when i type them in it simply says command not found. so then i try command.com instead of command.exe and open it up, but command.com has got the same problem. usually the only way to fix it is to restart, and its getting annoying. can anyone help plzzz........

Elite Hacker
    You must be changing the path. I just tested that, and on 98 ftp and everything still worked, but with XP it didn't. Try typing path=%windir%\system32;%windir%;%windir%\system
    and see if that works. Hope that helped, if that doesn't work try c:\windows(or winnt, whichever you have) instead of %windir%.

thx for the reply, but it still doesnt work can anyone help me?????????

i dunno, maybe this is just obvious, but have you tried searching your computer for the ping, ftp, telnet, etc. EXE's? maybe the programs are just gone. or in the wrong folder. just my
    $0.02...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

I agree, from your root directory issue a dir ping.exe /s for example and then make sure its location is found in your path.
    $pak = me;

Elite Hacker
    usually the only way to fix it is to restart, and its getting annoying. can anyone help plzzz........
    I think that implies that they do work, but only on a restart. And if they work they are there just to clarify. I'm stumped though.

I deleted the ping.exe program in my windows 98 box and it said :
    Bad Command Or File Name
    I found that if I moved it from C:\Windows folder it still gave me the same message. You probably have them in the wrong directory.
    Bad Command Or File Name
    Deimos could it be possible that your computer might be infected by a virus ? Maybe you should give your computer a scan cause it does sound kinda weird though.

Have you thought about replacing them ? Maybe they might be corrupted.

Just my thoughts ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam