Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM unveils plans to give away free computers

Banned

IBM unveils plans to give away free computers

NOBODY in the UK need ever pay for a personal computer again - from this week new IBM models will be delivered free of charge to any home that wants one.
    http://www.scotlandonsunday.com/busi...?id=1370012003

isn't this w00t for the UK people.

The only catch is that users will be subjected to one minute of TV-style ads coming on to their screens every 20 minutes.
    In order to continue to access the new PCs, users will have to install a CD each month to update the advertising content. This will enable advertisers such as Churchill to trial a variety of ads with different types of customer.
    AIEEEE!! No deal. Will be interesting to see how fast cracks come out to defeat this feature though.

That's a really cool idea, but personally I would get really irritated with the ads that would come up evey 20 minutes. Sure, it would only last for a minute, but if I was doing something of reasonable importance, such as writing a paper...that would get on my nerves. Overall though, it would be something I would take advantage of anyway...the more computers to work with cheaply, the better.
    Carrie: Someone\'s definition of what constitutes cheating is in direct proportion to how much they themselves want to cheat.
    Miranda: That\'s moral relativism!
    Carrie: I prefer to think of it as quantum cheating.

If i lived in the uk I would take the offer. Probably a couple of times if i could. Yeah the ads could be annoying but im sure there would be some way to circumvent it. No harm having a couple extra computers lying around.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Quick question, whats to stop someone just formatting and installing their own OS, even if it is just a fresh install of windows?
    Also, if the hard drive is somehow write-protected, would it be economic to just rip it out and replace it with a fresh one? I personally would gladly sacrifice the money for a component for a new IBM.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    annoy, well yes they would be, but hey, its free...they have to pay for the computer somehow, it is jut making business buy your computer instead of you. For a free computer, I would put up with it. Good time to light a cigerette

Abtronic&gt; I am sure there is more to it that they are not telling. Something about it having to be online at least once a week so that it can report back to IBM or something. And if they don't get the report, they take away the computer.

Although I am sure it won't be long before someone writes a program to override the output of the program without modifying the actual program so that it still thinks that it is working properly.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

The only catch is that users will be subjected to one minute of TV-style ads coming on to their screens every 20 minutes.
    Wow.. I can see where they are coming from and how they have to make money.

What if wanted to watch a dvd, and then you have ads popping up?
    Or, playing online games, and then have to stop every 20 min.

It is a good time for bathroom break or cigarette break... but still. That'd get on my nerves.

This offer doens't apply to me anyway...

I can only see it being useful for people who just surf the web and chat... people who use AOL. You average mom and pop who just want to surf and check email.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

It sounds sweet to have a free PCU but that catch...I mean you could just not use the PCU and just take some parts out and upgrade your old computer

I heard about a company doing this in the united states a few years ago, but you had to stay on the computer a certain amount of time each day and be exposed to x amount of ad's, like forced tv
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

This might actually be fun to use for a beater box. Get the thing and then just pummel it with pen testing and virus attacks. Then when IBM wonders why they aren't getting any updates from it (if that needs doing), play dumb, tell them the puter isd acting funny and you don't know how to fix it. Then you get a fixed-up box ready to beat up on again. Then they fix it again. Maybe if they signed a contract they'll be obligated to fix it for you. If not, just blame the lousy performance and constant crashing on "hackers".

That could be fun, yes.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!