Thread: Integrated AGP

Integrated AGP

Alright, this is a question from a newb to hardware, so try to keep the flames down.

I have an integrated AGP from SiS on my motherboard, or so it seems. So, if I buy another Video Card/AGP, say a nVidia GeForce, will I be able to fit it in there and configure it properly? Is there anything else I'd have to do other than stick it in there. I'm running Windows right now and need a new graphics card for compatibility with Linux (SiS are @$$holes), so that's why I'm trying to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Please supply the manufacturer, model and any revision number for your motherboard. Do you have any kind of installation manual for your system? If this is a proprietary system (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) - the manufacturer and model number for your system will work as well. Thanks.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

All you need to know is the multiplier, i.e 2x, 4x, 8x that your motherboard supports
    and make sure your new vid card matches.

Krang
    .....Brain Failure....dumping core.... z z z

Hi,

You can install another videocard without problems. You may, however have to alter your BIOS settings (startup in the boot cycle) to use the offboard video.

What you have to check out is:

1. Will my BIOS support the video card?
    2. Is it AGP (the small chocolate brown connector) or PCI (the longer, white one)
    3. Does the videocard manufacturer support *nix.....like with drivers

When you find a videocard that supports *nix you just have to install it and make sure that it is "introduced" to whatever OSes you want to boot.

Have a look at the nVidia and ATI sites.................both claim to support *nix, with the Radeon(ATI), I think they have to be 8500 or better, with nVidia I think it is the 4200 Ge4?

Good luck

I have an SiS 740 card which came with my Sony RX-741. I want to get a nvidia GeForce FX 5200 so I can run *nix, so that's why I ask.

Thanks nihil, that answered my question.

The Geforce FX5200's are not the best card to be runing nix on so I'd suggest looking at something either a little upmarket a little undermarket or a radeon dunno how they work (I'd suggest saving some money and buying a radeon 900 no DX9 support but trust me they run better under DX9 games than a FX 5200 does and they cost less also run cooler and ... well they are better exceot for a few DX=9 features that the 5200 dosn't have the power to utilise happily anyway.)

Yeah, I've researched it a little more and am considering a ATI Radeon 9600se, rather than the GeForce. It's on sale at CompUSA ($130 w./ $30 rebate), so I can get it for the same price. I've seen linux drivers on their site, but I'm gonna check compatibility with RH9 now.