SP2 Will Make XP More Secure?

Thread: SP2 Will Make XP More Secure?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Washington D.C. area

SP2 Will Make XP More Secure?

Yep, at least that is the claim from the fellas in Redmond...

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I wont hold my breath, but I am interested in seeing what they change that will:

Microsoft is introducing a set of security technologies that will help to improve the ability of Windows XP-based computers to withstand malicious attacks from viruses and worms. The technologies include network protection, memory protection, safer e-mail handling, more secure browsing, and improved computer maintenance.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Well, like I said in a thread earlier this week: adding a non-exec stack (and heap on amd64 and itanium) as well as "stackguard" compilation can't hurth...

Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Reading the winXPSp2 documentation, seems like there are more changes going from XPSP1 to XPSP2 than there was going from w2k to winXP. Good luck to all those not as crafty in configuring their windows boxes.