Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nortan antivirus refuses to work

nortan antivirus refuses to work

whenever i press on the "live update" or "full system scan", the window shuts down. what do i do? thanks
    [~_~]

Wow, need a little more info (alot actually).. what version of windows are you running? What version of Norton? Has you subscription tun out? What window closes? The Norton Window, or "windows" period? Did you go to the Norton web site?

We'd like to help, but we don't have much to go on.

PS>You might want to delete the other thread by the same name...

im using windows XP, norton antivirus 2003 and its the norton window that closes. when i press the shortcut it, it closes after 6 seconds. thanks
    [~_~]

It sound's like your live update got corrupted. Go in the the c:\programs files\symantec\liveupdate and delete all of the files. Then go to http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html and get the live update (lusetup.exe) that should get you live update back to normal. I know that this works on the corprate edition 7.1 upto 8.1. It should solve your problem. Give it a try.

I agree with ny9777 100%...This happened to me once and that fixed the problem. Good Luck.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Banned
    You should always keep your AntiVirus Software up to date.Bcuz they say that almost 50 new viruses are written every month and you don't want to get infected by them,right?
    I guess that if you regularly update your AntiVirus software then your live updater wouldn't get corrupted.

i agree with ny977. my version of norton did the same thing when i tried to update it. doing what ny977 suggested really works. my version runs without a problem for a long.

I was just wondering is this a trial version?

Originally posted here by ali1
    You should always keep your AntiVirus Software up to date.Bcuz they say that almost 50 new viruses are written every month and you don't want to get infected by them,right?
    I guess that if you regularly update your AntiVirus software then your live updater wouldn't get corrupted.
    SOURCE: http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/explained/teachers.html
    There are over 72,000 viruses in existence and approximately 1,000 new viruses are written every month (as of March 2002).

Just to think that those were 2 and 3 year old reports. Im sure they have grown since.

SOURCE: http://www.viruslist.com/eng/index.html
    The Encyclopedia, written by the famous virus researcher, contains detailed info about more than 30,000 known viruses, along with virus classification, and common methods of virus detection and disinfection.

If that does not work I would go for a complete reinstall. (Make sure you delete all the Norton folders in the Program Files folder after you remove the program through add/remove programs)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

If the Norton came as part of a package or "bundle" it might be limited to 3 or 6 months? I have seen this with friend's machines.

You should have had some sort of renewal warning though?

Cheers