Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Start up?

what about the other onne?

abvout telling somone about it?

Wanker (funny, somehow that name seems so appropriate right now), I'd like to help more, but I have to go beat my head against a wall (it will be better than responding any further to this post).
    DjM

<-------------------- Beating head against wall. Spilled coffee.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    RoadClosed: ah.. that's what that mess is. I hope you didn't have sugar in that..

WAnKeR: why not take the 2 minutes to read the link I provided and see if that is in fact causing the problem? By doing that we eliminate one potential if it's not and then the rest of this thread can be spent on helping you find out what the cause is. If it is, Symantec provides, I believe, manual removal options that are fairly straightforward to follow.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

nope, Splenda <---- registered trademark.

Hey Wanker...................make an old guy happy and follow the advice you have been given?

I notice that you do not believe it, so I will guess that you have a few suspicions of your own?...like someone has read the AV stuff and stolen the punch line? and that the real problem is something different?

In a way, that is rather neat social engineering? virus "B" fakes itself to look like virus "A" so you do all you can to get rid of virus "A", and waste your time, because you never had it in the first place. Naturally your AV will not find virus "A" either?

I think that you and Ali may have it..........a teaser or joke? who else has access to this machine, and where did you get it from? Is it on the net? Maybe someone thought "this guy thinks he knows about computers..........let's teach him a lesson"......

I would immediately suspect all members of family
    and I think that you probably already do?

I have pulled some stunts in my time and I suspect you might be the victim of one right now?

Just do the tests and get back to us please?..............hey MsMittens is a University Professor...and she is on the "A" team (your side)......

Good luck and a merry Christmas

this is wanker...i got banned..as yo ucan see

but anyways..

no one else has access to my machine..
    like i said...nothing seems to be rong...!
    all of the programs work..
    and i only get the message every 3rd time i reboot
    but still.. its kinda creepy!

david

Dear Mr. David Wanker,

A bridge is missing your presence. Please comply.

Thank You.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    no one else has access to my machine.. like i said...nothing seems to be rong...! all of the programs work.. and i only get the message every 3rd time i reboot but still.. its kinda creepy!
    Regardless of anyone else having access to your machine, it can still get a virus. Viruses are not limited to emails or network activities. Sometimes they are found in boxed software (I found a nasty one -- Natas -- with a 3Com network diagnostic driver). So is it safe to assume you have checked for the virus above?

Have you checked your StartUp options? Done a search through the registry? You said it was an old computer. Windows 95? Non-Windows machine?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi David, we meet again

I know you are not stupid, so I presume that you have run updated AV, SpyBot S&D and so on in SAFE MODE.

You are not getting any hits right?.............you have tried Panda, McAfee and the others' online scans........nothing there?

I am inclined to agree with what you suspected in your "alter ego" when you thought it was a "tease"..........we call that a "wind up" over here, as in "he has a movement like a Swiss watch....he winds up beautifully"

I don't know how good they are so here is a big guess: maybe it does not load at every boot? that would be a nice feature for a "tease"???

Try "Hijack This" by Merijn..............run it when you have had the message and look for anything unusual. So you need an image of your system without the problem for comparison.

Ultimately there is fdisk and start again; but we don't really want to go there if we can help it?

Merry Christmas to yourself and family,

Johnno