Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot run a scheduled .bat

Question Cannot run a scheduled .bat

I'm trying to schedule a server backup in the Scheduled Task folder, but it doesn't seem to be working right. The backup is supposed to run from c:\temp\backup.bat, but when I right-click the backup then click "Run", nothing happens at all. Any ideas what might be the problem? I'm stumped!

it's probably running in the back ground. Open a command prompt and run it so you can see what is happening. You can also post the bat here in a text file named backup.txt or seomething, if it's small just past the text in the thread.

Clean it of IP addresses and server names first.

Make sure you can run the bat from the command prompt manually before moving on to the schedule bit.

peace

Unhappy

I tried running it through the C: prompt, butit just gave me line after line of repetitive error messages. For example, one such message was "'pkzip' is not recognized as an external or internal command, operable program or batch file".

I dunno, this is all greek to me so far, this is the first time I've really messed around at all with a bat. (That didn't quite sound right...)

Also, how do I copy the .bat into a .txt format to post it here in the thread?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You're not using Windows Backup as a backup program are you?

You're trying to zip this stuff up and call it a backup.

If pkzip is not recognized as a program then it is't installed.... And, BTW, it's been WinZip for a few years now.

What OS etc. are you running and trying to back up right now.

One hint.... Backing up data to the same drive it comes from isn't going to do you any good....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Like Tiger mentioned, use windows backup if you have a newer OS and point it to a network drive for the file destination. Go into windows help and type "backup"

Gotcha. It certainly looks like a Windows backup from Scheduled Tasks window, but they also have Retrospect running on a schedule to back everything up onto tapes daily, so I'm still trying to sift through how they go about backing up everything around here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ok... I'll try again.....

What OS?

It's sort of important..... Retrospect runs in WinX and Mac..... That makes a whole world of difference in my skill level..... Probably yours too....

Help us to help you...... Please.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    If pkzip is not recognized as a program then it is't installed.... And, BTW, it's been WinZip for a few years now.
    I just wanted to say that's not totally true, it can also mean that it is just not in the path.

you beat me to it creator! if its in the same folder as the bat file, put cd to that dir as the first line, personally id put it in %system% and use full paths in the bat.

winzip cmd line only works with newer registered versions of winzip. pkzip works just fine in batch files
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It's running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.