Thread: Sun Linux good rival to Windows!!!!

Sun Linux good rival to Windows!!!!

http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...w=wn_tophead_6

Some programmers and analysts believe that Sun Microsystems has the Linux distribution that could finally woo Windows users over to open source, assuming users can get past the product's confusing name -- Java Desktop System.

"Yes, there's Java in there somewhere, but JDS is really a distribution of the Linux operating system and a collection of open-source applications that anyone can easily use," said programmer Mark Fahley. "Why Sun opted to call it Java Desktop is simply beyond me -- even something as silly as Stoned Beaver would have been a better name."

JDS quickly found the correct video and sound card drivers, something that Windows 2000 wasn't able to do without being supplied the manufacturer's driver disks during previous installations. All ports were correctly identified and configured automatically.

After one re-boot, the shiny new system was up and running flawlessly. An Epson and an HP printer, Epson scanner and a digital camera were recognized by the system with no problems.
    Does this mean the end of Microsoft's monopoly? w00t
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Does this mean the end of Microsoft's monopoly? w00t
    Unfortunately not. MS may have a questionable OS but they certainly have a rock solid marketing group and plenty of cash to drive it. They'll develop a strategy, pricing or otherwise, in attempts to put out the open source fire that has recently been building.

On the other hand, if companies and IT shops stick to their guns (which doesn't usually happen) perhaps open source will gain some significant percentage of the OS market. As a Linux supporter, I sure hope that the recent move towards open source forces MS to do something positive. Even if it meant that the prices of their products went down by 30%, I (and many others) could stretch our budget dollars a little further.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Unfortunately not. MS may have a questionable OS but they certainly have a rock solid marketing group and plenty of cash to drive it. They'll develop a strategy, pricing or otherwise, in attempts to put out the open source fire that has recently been building.
    Yes that is true, but finally there is (probably) an easy-to-use alternative for Windows, ok you have the mac, but I'm talking about the x86 architecture.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

something that Windows 2000
    Isnt that like comparing a 1999 Ford with a 2002 GM sedan?
    It could have also been said about XP vs Win2k..

Certainly be happy to test it .. and compare .. The ease of use is what Joe and Jane Average look at before security..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I can't wait until they come out with their SPARC edition of JDS. I'll have to put it on my shiny new Blade 2500
    and do some serious bragging to colleagues.
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/