Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aim Help!!!!

Aim Help!!!!

I use AOL Instant Messanger and I recently had someone, without my knowing, hack into my computer and get "instant message" convorsations from the past. I have no idea how this is possibe since this person has never even been on my computer. Without access to my computer how would he have gotten convorsations printed? Plus, I never saved anything so would it automatically be stored in my computer? How are you able to access convorsations from several months ago? Would he have had a special program or perhaps a virus in order to do this? I know a good amount about computers but I am having a hard time understanding how this happened. If you could please get back to me and let me know I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
    -ash

Elite Hacker
    He must have had a keylogger installed on your computer for a long time. He may have found a way to get one on there and had it configured to mail it to him/her every time it gets to a certain file size. I recommend you download some spy/adware scanners, and some trojan scanners, and antivirus. www.grisoft.com for antivirus, and just do a search for the rest. I don't have time to look them up, try adaware, and spybot search and destroy. Good luck.

thank you so much ...but the thing is, this person has NEVER been on my computer to install anything...he hasn't even been in the same room as my computer which is why i found it just impossible for him to get these convorsations. Is there any other way this could have happened? Thanks again.
    -ash

Banned
    He culd have installed a keylogger remotely.

how would i find out if i have keylogger on my computer????

about a month ago I downloaded Ad-aware and the results camee back that i had highrisk spyware on my computer. I thought this was just from websites and what not, but could it have been related to my problem with this keylogger?
    -ash

Banned
    http://www.styopkin.com/keylogger_hunter.html

also do a scan with the Trojan scanner from www.moosoft.com

I'm not sure about AIM... its been some time since I've used it.

Many other clients suchs as gaim or trillian will allow you to log your conversations. Does AIM allow this? If so, they could have broken into your computer and retreived the logs.

As far as how did they break in:

Do you keep your PC updated? maybe they found a vulnerability and exploited it to gain access?

Do you have up2date antivirus and a firewall? If not, that would allow them to install a trojan or break in to exploit your unprotected services.

Do you keep your programs on your computer updated? Could be a vuln in other 3rd party apps that you run.

Do you have file/print sharing enabled? Could have mapped your drives and retrieved your data. Do you have a password on your username? is it easy to guess/crack?

Those are just a couple of the most common ways... there are tons of ways for people to break into a PC.

Also, do they just have a conversation between you and one other person?
    Or, do they have many conversations between you and many other people?

Is it possible that the other person's PC was compromised instead of yours?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i think the term 'hacked into my computer' is a little drastic..dont you?..he very easily could have used a password craker or phiser or keylogger and gotten your PW with out being anywhere near you PC...and how do you know he got the conversations from the past?

Banned
    how do you know he got the conversations from the past?
    Maybe because he was the one talking, i think people recall when they talked something in the past. Common sense people

wow..that made no sence...