Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Anti virus problem

Banned

Norton Anti virus problem

Hey all.
    Is that true that Norton Anti virus can get corrupted when updating it?I mean,I've been reading somewhere on the internet that Norton AntiVirus can sometimes get corrupted when its being updated.Therefore it sometimes just pops up but goes back out?Any ideas about it?And what should be done if someone gets this problem?

Banned
    From what i have read about NAV it is not that great for protection as many people believe. I'd recommend that you download AVG free AntiVirus from the link below.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.phpAntiVirus

it is a very good AV software.

I've also found that NAV is a bit of a resource hog.

There are a lot of AV programs available now that aren't so system hungry - a lot of them are free. I use Mcafee with no issues. Search the forums and check out reviews and comparisons of the leadings AV software. It'll be worth your while.

Banned
    But don't you have any idea of how to rid Norton Anti Virus of that problem?

My main objection to Norton is that it is "arrogant"...by that I mean that it seems to assume that there is nothing else running on the system?

It tends to have problems with other suppliers' products, such as firewalls, which could well be causing the problems that Ali refers to. Also, it seems a bit slow to load, so you might have to "tweak" your boot sequence to get it to load and complete and return the RAM before something else cuts in and contends with it. OK "memory leaks" aren't quite the issue they used to be because systems have a lot of RAM these days, but that is no excuse for sloppy programming IMHO

As a product I think that it is just fine, but I have had just a few too many problems with it (because of the above issues) to recommend it to my "granny" so to speak

Please do not get me wrong, I am not against Norton as a product, and know a lot of people for whom it works just fine. It is just that it is the main AV product that I have had issues with.

AVG is a sound product that I have never had any contention problems with, same goes for McAfee and PC-cillin.

Just my thoughts.......if NAV works for YOU just be sure to keep it up to date, and watch for firewall issues.

Cheers

NAV certainly is not perfect..

YEs a resource hog.. But what anti virus isn't..hmm.. Havent tested 2004 yet.. 2002 & 2003 certainly were better than a few others in this case.. Bitdefender, etrust/VET from CA, McAfee, NOD All reated as dogs when it came to slowdowns or system resource hogs.

A new dog to my list is Avast.. managed to miss sub7, bugbear B, Sobig c/e/f, has a hell of a bad time with any program that works with port 25 and 110 if it don't hang those progs do..

AVG (Grisoft) is OK.. The Full Retail version that is..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted by ali1
    But don't you have any idea of how to rid Norton Anti Virus of that problem?
    You don't have that problem though, do you?

I'm not sure you could rid it of the problem (if it is a problem and I don't know if it is). If any program "sometimes" corrupts after update then there's no way you can predict when or how it's happening. Do you have any links which say what is happening? I'd be interested in reading more.

What we're saying is if you have concerns about a product, and people are saying there may be other issues apart from the one you raised, then it may be a good idea to review other AV software. Especially as some other ones (such as AVG) are free.

Have you got NAV installed? I took from your post that you were thinking about purchasing it, but had concerns.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I use the Symentec (NAV) NetSec 2004, and I have had 'issues' with the product. It will load, and then in its refresh state, it brings up a warning that there is a fault in the AV, please re-install. To date a re-boot has cleared the prob, but I have re-installed the complete unit a couple of times, also the Security icon in the start tray will sometimes show as crossed out, click on, and it 'says' I do not have authority to change the settings ? Again re-booting seems to clear it, so far it has updated as and when required, but I still cannot trust it too much. One final thing, I have noticed on a couple of times that it deletes the icons from the start tray (W2K Pro) I keep an icon on the desktop, click this and it says there is a problem !!!
    Once again, re-install or for now re-boot.
    If anyone has details to counter this, that don't include the bin, and buying trying elsewhere ? I would be most pleased.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I had the same problem with Norton 2004 telling me that I had to re-install it. I found a solution though at this link, http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...cument&src=_mi , which seemed to help, I though I will still get the error but very seldom and it goes away after a minute or so…but like I said very very seldom now compared to what it was. I hope this helps.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well Ali, I did some searching based on what you had mentioned. I'm not exactly sure what kind of corruption you're talking about but, if you're asking about LiveUpdate containing corrupted anti-virus definition files, then yes. It has happened apparently once to Symantec early in 2003.
    (This article contained the reason for it).
    Article Here

The only other seemingly glaring issue that could relate to corrupted downloads would be the Symantec Common Client Updates. This seemed to be a popular problem amongst users of NAV.Symantec provided some solution(s) for these issues
    Here
    Apparently, Common Client Updates can get corrupted as well.

That's about all I could find on corrupt LiveUpdate issues. Hope this info helps.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton