Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS Outlook Sending Phantom Messages

Question MS Outlook Sending Phantom Messages

Hello,

I have noticed that recently MS Outlook 2002 periodically will send out 1 or 2 email messages, even when there are no messages in my Outbox. Also, after these messags are sent I can't see any new messages in my "Sent Items" folder.

I know Outlook is sending email messages based on the window that pops up when I click "Send and Receive". I see the "Sending message 1 of 1; Receiveing message 0 of 7" or whatever.

My computer is virus free according to AVG. However, I am quite concerned about why Outlook is sending out messages that I seem to have no control over. Has anyone else experienced this? OR any suggestions on how I can intercept the message content on these emails I can't seem to stop?

Thanks!

http://www.internals.com

Mail Control by Yariv Kaplan

Good luck

hmm...seems weird thats what i use for my email occasionally and i've never experienced anything like that. Sounds like a worm but as u say ur virus free...sure u have latest updates and all that good stuff? could it be maybe ur pop3 account settings? Are you using only 1 pop3 account or u using and web based email like yahoo or hotmail that u've integrated in with outlook express?

Have u tried adding and removing your Outlook email account? Restarting outlook in the process??

If it sounds like a virus, smells like a virus, looks like a virus, it probably is one..

I wouldn't trust AVG as far as I could throw them...
    Test out your antivirus

http://www.declude.com/tools/mailsend.html

Hello all

If you are currently sharing your calendar for scheduling on outlook, the updates between the calenders do exactly what you are talking about. If you are not sharing , then I would take the above advise.

Cheers and Good Measure
    [gloworange]The Only Way to be Safe is To Never Be Secure. [/gloworange]
    Benjamin Franklin

I would also run a sniffer when you aren't doing anything else and capture the traffic being sent.

Unless its encrypted, you should be able to find out what is going on.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

We encountered the same problem on a couple of occasions. The 'OUTBOX' appeared to be empty (but there were messages still there !!) For some reason, a FILTER had been applied and once we removed the FILTER, deleted the bad messages....all was fine.

Just another avenue to persue

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It _might_ also indicate the prescence of a keylogger. They often use email to pass their data back to the "spy". I'd give your PC a thorough going over.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Figured it out!

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Some of the information and links you guys offered will be very helpful to me in the future.

However, I feel a little silly, as I have been able to figure this one out.

Apparently (accidentally?) my "read receipt" settings got set to "automatic reply". Anyone sending me an email that had a "read receipt request" embedded was automatically generating the emails that have been going out. I have been able to confirm this through a few tests, and ultimately, finding and checking the settings for "read receipt requests".

I still think Outlook should leave a copy of the confirmation message in the Sent Items folder... this freaked me out a little, but I'm glad it was nothing.

Thanks again for all your help!!

AO French Antique News Whore
    Nice little bug to share you had!

You can turn this feature off in Outlook by going in Tools/Option - Preference - Email Option - Tracking Option and Ask me before sending a respond.
    -Simon \"SDK\"