LISa networking to WinXP

Thread: LISa networking to WinXP

LISa networking to WinXP

Hello Everyone...

I just got linux a couple of days ago, and I'm having fun relearning everything...
    Anyways, here's my problem:

I'm trying to get access to my home network - my father uses winXP, and my sister uses Win2000.
    When I configure LISa in the KDE gui, it says everything is working but to make sure LISa is starting up with a boot script. (I've checked this, and LISa is there). When I open up Konqueror and go to lan:/ , it tells me that LISa isn't running and I need to enable it. When I boot my laptop it tells me that eth0 (my network card) does not seem to be present, so it delays initialization. However, once the computer finishes booting and I view the card, it says that it's working fine. I also am running the internet through the network (it's shared from my father's computer), so dhcp works.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to continue from here?

Suse

hi, I guess you are using Suse, not Redhat, I used samba to hookup windows and linux, maybe I will try Lisa.
    Anyhow, here is some info:

Both reslisa and lisa open a so called raw socket to send and receive ICMP echo requests (pings). To do this, they need root privileges.

lisa offers a service on TCP port 7741, it should be installed by root and started when the system comes up, it depends on your distribution how to do this.
    On Slackware linux systems simply enter the following lines into /etc/rc.d/rc.local

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/lisa ]; then
    echo "Starting LISa daemon..."
    /usr/local/bin/lisa
    fi
    Of course you have to use the correct path to the lisa daemon on your system, e.g. /opt/kde2/bin/lisa .

If you have Suse Linux 7.3, install the package kdenetwork-lisa. If this is done, edit the template file /etc/lisarc and enter the appropriate values. Then lisa is started automatically everytime you boot your system.

If you are running Suse Linux 7.1, look here for rclisa.tar.gz.
    If you have another version of Suse Linux, put the example given above into /etc/init.d/boot.local.

reslisa is intended to be started per user, it doesn't offer anything to the network. It needs to be installed setuid root.

If you use the rlan-ioslave from KDE2, reslisa can be started automatically by the reslisa ioslave (rlan:/).

lisa reads the file lisarc (/etc/lisarc), reslisa reads the file reslisarc (/etc/reslisarc or ~/.reslisarc). If you want to be able to configure both from the KDE Control Center, you have to start them using the command line switch -K or --kde2. For more information where they look for configuration files look here.

I will do more readin gon Lisa, good luck!

I am actually running red hat v9 (shrike). I'm not sure what to do for samba either - I hadn't come across that untill you mentioned it here. How would I go about using the samba?

samba server

I would happy to write detail about the samba if I had time.

just go to redhat or MS windows, and search "samba", you will find the details to install samba server, sharing and accessing from linux to windows and windows to linux.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...nfiguring.html

if you like linux, you should buy a linux book.

thanks for the link, after some toying I got it to work. I like Linux, and would buy a linux book if I could afford it - my budget is a little tight. If you know of any online books, I'd appreciate the links as I haven't really found any.

cool, same interest

hey, good to hear working.
    I have black belt II , pratice Kongfu since high school, maybe someday we would talk about martial art besides linux,

maybe try to find some book onsale at SaveOnFood or some places, get an old but basic book around $10, I will send you some links if I come across any. Also a good way to get information is registering some tech sites such as Techpublic, InformIT, etc...

good luck with your CS study in the future university.