Onion Router Project

Thread: Onion Router Project

Onion Router Project

The Onion Routing research project is building an Internet-based system that strongly resists traffic analysis, eavesdropping, and other attacks both by outsiders (e.g. Internet routers) and insiders (Onion Routers themselves). It prevents the transport medium from knowing who is communicating with whom -- the network knows only that communication is taking place. In addition, the content of the communication is hidden from eavesdroppers up to the point where the traffic leaves the OR network.
    This was a project started in the late 1990's by the navy. It is essentially a two stage process. The sender instructs router "X" to create an "onion", which consists of public-key-encrypted layers of instruction. Router "X" peels off the first layer of the onion, which indicates the next step in the path and supplies a decrypting key for use when the message comes through. The onion then goes on through routers "Y" and "Z", depositing keys at each stop. Once the connection is established, the encrypted message is sent through and successively decrypted, arriving as plaintext. To rspond, the recipient sendsthe message to router "Z", and it follows the pre-established path back.

The initial project, which was a proof of concept, was discontinued in 1998. The second generation has been floating around for a little bit, and information can be found here: http://www.freehaven.net/tor/tor-design.pdf

Some more information can be found here:http://www.freehaven.net/tor/cvs/doc/FAQ

Where to download, how to use: http://cvs.seul.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs....t=tor&rev=1.14

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting concept.

The main page is: www.onion-router.net

EDIT: This isn't just an email client. The software download is to set up a box as a router in the project.

Hey groovicus,

Have you actually played with this at all? Are you using it currently or did you just run accross the info?

It looks interesting @ first read. I'd be anxious to hear what your personal experience is with it.

Thanks!

Tfunk

I just ran across it.... If I had a stable server I definately would participate though. I presented it here mainly because of the concept behind it...sometimes concepts from one area can be applied in other areas..If, for instance, it could somehow be applied without reliance on special Onion routers.

Also, it was initially a military project, and it's interesting to see what they are up to. It seems that we never hear about that kind of experiment (for obvious reasons).

The Onion Router Prototype Network is Off-Line as of January 28 , 2000
    from http://www.onion-router.net/
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It doesn't look like the project is dead though.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    It doesn't look like the project is dead though.
    Ahhh, ok. Didnt get that far. (The site is on my "To read" list)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Very interesting concept. Should be a good read.
    Tim Potts
    Network Analyst

Cool. To bad I do not have anywhere to play with it as I do not own my LAN. You think lots of people will/have implimented it? Because the more people that impliment it, the more powerful it becomes, right (or did I missread what groov said)?

-Cheers-