How a _newbie_ should be ;)

Thread: How a _newbie_ should be ;)

Flash M0nkey

How a _newbie_ should be ;)

There has been alot of discussion lately about how senior members should act towards those who have only just arrived at the site. Well I would like to point out that if everyone was like the new-comer i recently recieved a PM from there would be no probs.

This person has taken the time to read before posting. Going through posts explaing such things as aps - and from what I can gather just getting a general feel for the site.

And then when she did come across something she was unsure about instead of reserecting an old post she PM'd the thread starter to ask them directly and also thank them for the help she had recieved thus far from the thread.

This is the perfect way to go about it - and I hope others follow her example. But that also means that those more senior members must try wherever possible to reply to such PM's helping in whatever way they can - which would not only clear the forums of clutter and the same old questions but also help those who have just registered to feel more welcome.

Not only did she do exactly what IMHO is the correct thing to but in the few posts she has made she has been very polite and shows a keen eargness to learn......as well as just simply saying thank you!

ok so perhaps they could have been done in PM's as well - but sometimes its nice to let the community as a whole know that a thread has been appriciated.

Heh don't view this as ass kissing infact i wasn't even going to put the members name on it incase thats what people thought this was....but I think she deserves to get the credit

so labchick64 thank you for showing me that some people still do know the best way to get started on a new forum.

v_Ln

And then when she did come across something she was unsure about instead of reserecting an old post she PM'd the thread starter to ask them directly and also thank them for the help she had recieved thus far from the thread.
    I suppose that'd be good for active members. You'd never get a reply from some of the older inactive members or members that only get on once a week or once a month...

Good advise though. PMs are great feature in forums. You don't make yourself look like a "fool" to the community. Just to the person you are PMing. I'm sure I've done that on many occasions. Also, by doing this and showing that you want to learn and that you appreciate the help you are given, you can get many people to be "mentors" to you. There is nothing better than having someone who knows their stuff helping you out.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.