Thread: NASA defaced

NASA defaced

http://www.zone-h.org/en/news/read/id=3846/

Thirteen NASA websites have been defaced this morning by a brazilian crew called drwxr. The defacer apparently modified the index pages to express his opinion about the war, leaving the message "The war in iraq, kill is a play!" linked to a video of CNN showing american soldiers killing an iraqi and cheering.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hacktivism is still alive I see.. :-\
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Wow, nice links...I believe i've heard of this group before...Msm Yes it is indeed
    Definetely not good holiday spirit....
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

They never stop to think that its only hurting their cause rather than helping. I mean when you see a defacement, how often do you even pay attention to the actual content of the defacement? Just like these eco-terrorists who burn housing developments because they want to "stop sprawl" but as the house burns it puts off polution into the atmoshphere. If these people put half the time they spent on the defacements into a legitimate campaign they might see some results instead of jailtime.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

There was one that I heard that wasn't bad. Again, they used NASA for the site but this time it was to encourage people to make donations to the Red Cross to help those in India and Pakistan after a devasting earthquake hit about a week or two before 9/11 (which of course overshadowed everything even tho' about 20,000 people died in the earthquake). So it was to bring attention to a situation that was being overshadowed by another tragedy.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Yup...

I think your right...I don't know how it helps their cause. Sure maybe it gets there group some publicity, but I can't imagine it would really change anything.

My hunch is that it's just much cheaper to pursue hactivism than other forms of protest. You really only need a pc w/ internet and a bit of knowledge. It's much easier/cheaper to deface a website then it is to lobby the gov't.

tfunk

That is true, but in my opinion hacktivists just want to have a "reason" to deface websites, they don't help anyone by putting those messages on websites.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Re: Yup...

Originally posted here by tfunk
    I think your right...I don't know how it helps their cause. Sure maybe it gets there group some publicity, but I can't imagine it would really change anything.

My hunch is that it's just much cheaper to pursue hactivism than other forms of protest. You really only need a pc w/ internet and a bit of knowledge. It's much easier/cheaper to deface a website then it is to lobby the gov't.

tfunk
    It may be cheaper in the beginning, but if they are busted, then that brings in court costs, fines, and the price of lawyers. I think part of the reason people turn to hacktavism is because they can remain semi-anonymous hiding behind proxies and a handle, rather than a real protester out in the streets with a bullhorn and sign. Of course our goverments (especially in the US) haven't helped the situation any as they tend to deal with protesters in exteremly heavy handed and harsh manners at times. If the hippies and anti-war protesters of the Vietnam era could make do on less and still have their presence made known to the govermnent, then theres no reason people cant do that today/

MsMittens > yeah, that is a good cause actually, but again the method kind of casts a sour light on the noble attempts.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

If the hippies and anti-war protesters of the Vietnam era could make do on less and still have their presence made known to the govermnent, then theres no reason people cant do that today/
    The problem is today we have more "conspiracies" going on and thanks to TV shows like X-Files (TV always shows and tells the truth, right Homer?) people are more likely to believe that the government can pick them out of a huge 1 million person crowd. This of course ignores the fact that the gov't doesn't care about the individual but rather the PR fallout from the crowd.

It's much easier/cheaper to deface a website then it is to lobby the gov't.
    Sure it's cheaper, but you end up with the same results...A 3 year vacation with bubba on your bottom bunk.....
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."