Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broad band Roter help

Broad band Roter help

Im wondering if anyone can help me ,what it is is im wanting to get broadband 1mb service and i want it for my two computers so they both are always on the internet ,i asked the ISP about this and they said that a router would be the best for internet sharing ,but i have never had a router !.

Could anyone reccomend a router for that broadband connection ?

Could anyone give me more information about connecting my comps together with a router can you get a router with a firewall?

Thanx

Linksys seems to be very appreciated but I don't have a clue whether it is a DSL router or not, (I have a Siemens Santis 50 WLAN router).
    Almost every router has a firewall.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Linksys BEFSR41 for about $80 from CompUSA or wherever will do the trick.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

You can get one of several routers for pretty cheap from any decent electronics store. You can probably find one for 30-50 bucks, maybe cheaper if you search around a little. For this price you can expect to get a four port router with a firewall built in. Then all you need are nics in each box and cat5 cables to plug the boxes into the router with.
    The usual names, dlink, linksys, netgear, would all do fine for you.
    Follow the install instructions (usually just plugging the router into the wall, and then your boxes into the router) and you'll be set.
    good luck!

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Linksys BEFSR41 for about $80 from CompUSA or wherever will do the trick.
    Linksys BEFSX41 This Router model features an advanced Stateful Packet Inspection firewall.(pricess may vary)
    $69.99 other $49.99
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...60835?v=glance
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...60835?v=glance
    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=23&prid=433
    http://www.linksys.com/products/grou...rid=34&scid=29
    http://www.hansenonline.net/Networking/linksysFW.html
    http://pcmag.pricegrabber.com/search...77775680e742c2

Damn, /me bought $200+ model . Heck dad paid it, no prob
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I'd go w/ Linksys too, I just set up a home network for a buddy, don't now the model of the router, but it was a breeze. . .plug the modem into the wan port of the router and then run the setup disks on each of the computers. . .simple. Then it's just a matter of turning of little things like remote admin, and setting a different password for the router.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Re: Broad band Roter help

Originally posted here by Cube3k

Could anyone give me more information about connecting my comps together with a router can you get a router with a firewall?

Thanx
    Keep in mind when you get a broadband router, your not getting much firewall funtionality out of the box you need to configure what services and types of packets you want to let through, and block the rest.

Currently I use a D-Link 604. It has a built in firewall, and every box hooked up to it has around 2 firewalls each. This router currently has two of my XP boxes, and my *NIX box and a 98 SE box hooked up and serving on my 3 MB line.

If you're new to all of this I can give a quick run down of hown I have my set up:

The "Digital Modem" is hooked up to the WAN port on the router with a Cat5E cable. The rest of the boxes have a NIC and some of them 2 NICs hooked up to the router with Cat5E cable all around.

It's pretty easy to do this. When you buy the router, make sure you read the manual though.

hehehe, pretty interesting how you all suggested linksys products.

linksys sells its firmware and hardware setups to many other less well heard of companys, who basically remove anything that says linksys and put that in a cheap case and flog it at half the price,

I know this because i have been trying to turn a router into a development board for learning about uClinux, I found out an awful lot during my explorations into this cheap £18 router

Linksys i dont think have had there own version the ARM processor developed they tend to use connexants, which is very common in allot of broadband network devices,

Basically when it comes down to it your paying for the name and the support (not to mention a pretty case) but do you really need them? i know im not gonna ring a support line, ill get on t'internet, I dont care what names on it, or what it looks like. If it works the same thats good enough for me

This really rings true, I went to a computer shop today with a relative to get them a network card, i knew what chipset the NIC i picked up had and that it was good and worked on both windows and linux (i've used them in my computers for ~1.5yrs), a man overhead my convostation and interupted and informed me that the £2 more expensive one was "better", upon inspection of the other nic (ie: - opening it and peeling back the sticker over the chip) i revealed that they were both the same component! if you believe people who says its "better" with no firm basis on what there saying them youll be out of pocket quicker.

If your after a more fun router trying coyote linux, grab a cheap 486 and a cheap switch. Firewalls scripts and everything, that along with a £30 ethernet adsl modem and your sorted, thats what i did, works great.

If anyone whats more information on my explorations into the router firmware or if you want to know where i sourced the parts for the ethernet modem and switch cheaply then please PM me,

i2c

ps: - sorry if i sound like Scrooge, but its christmas!

[Edit] pps: - my setup isnt as compact as a single router modem combo, but it allowed me to experiment and be a cheap skate, if you afer something neat and nonly have 1-4 computer router modem combo is probably for you!