Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broad band Roter help

Heh, pulling back the sticker and then giving him a classic look I should have been there to see lol. Ahh well. Right now I'm just fine and happy with my router. It does what it is supposed to do and only costed about $60 US dollars.

Untill I can get that Cicso rack we have in the class rooms at my college in my back pack anyway

My suggestion would be for an SMC barricade. I paid about £70 for an SMC7004BR a couple of years ago. They've been replaced by newer, better, and cheaper models now though, so it's got to be worth checking them out. They are fairly cheap, but they have nice features like print servers, dial-up fallback, etc.

Also, tell us if you're getting a cable modem (blueyonder/NTL), ADSL (almost everyone else), or wireless (not very common in the UK at the moment), as this will influence your final choice of router a hell of a lot. If you're getting ADSL, it might be cheaper for you to get a combined ADSL modem/router instead of seperate devices.

Linksys a part of Cisco systems. One of my buddies has a nice cisco router he borrowed from his work.

I also have the dlink 614+; bought it used at CompUSA I believe for $39 bucks. Make sure you log into the manufactores website once in a while and upgrade the firmware for your device -- very important. Make sure you activate WEP and Shared-key authentication. If a hacker finds your WEP key, the device will scan authorized MAC addresses in before IP's are given over a wireless connection.

Whichever make you buy, the first thing you need to do is get the latest stable firmware, they tend to come a little out of date. Newer firmware can solve issues for you before you encounter them.

Krang
    .....Brain Failure....dumping core.... z z z

Linksys... Just hearing that word makes me cringe. I would go with dlink personally as Linksys products from my end anyway have been nothing but trouble. I have had 5 linksys routers and all of them went out in a week or so... Go with Dlink here are a few links...

Wired Router:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....6&type=product

Wireless Router:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....7&type=product

Originally posted here by jhollings
    Linksys... Just hearing that word makes me cringe. I would go with dlink personally as Linksys products from my end anyway have been nothing but trouble. I have had 5 linksys routers and all of them went out in a week or so... Go with Dlink here are a few links...

Wired Router:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....6&type=product

Wireless Router:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....7&type=product
    Bout time someone backed me up on D-Link. They are damned good huh?

I have had 5 linksys routers and all of them went out in a week or so...
    The cheap ones ive had that were based on linksys hardware and software all went in a week or so, apparently due to the distributor it was a problem with the microcontroller inside them (ARM9 in my case possible ARM7 if your's were older)

They must of lost a fortune in replacing them, I returned and got replacements for mine and i know 2 other people who did similar

i2c

Originally posted here by gore
    Bout time someone backed me up on D-Link. They are damned good huh?
    A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but recently my Dlink DSL-504 router has been playing up like there's no tomorrow. It constantly crashes and puts me in a state where I can't login to the router, nevermind use my ADSL connection. So I'm witholding judgement until this problem is sorted. Also, my colleague's router (same make/model) crashes once a week and requires a restart.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    jhollings: You had a bad one. I have 20+ Linksys installed myself or on my behest on Cable and DSL links all over the Detroit area managed by either myself all the way down to people who had a problem getting the box open..... Some of these have been in place for more than 2 1/2 years and I have never had a problem with the router yet..... Of course we won't discuss the connection problems due to the ISP.... That's a whole other subject.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides