Thread: Print Version Of The Internet?

Thumbs up Print Version Of The Internet?

Google is planning to make a print version of the Internet according to The Register.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/34586.html

Google Print apes Amazon's "Search Inside The Book" feature, where you can sorta, kinda, give yourself the illusion that you're in a real library. A search term pops up references to the term in a number of books with which Google Inc. has made the pre-requisitite arrangments. This is a narrow selection, naturally governed by commercial imperatives, and these commercial imperatives are not to be dismissed lightly. Unlike a real library or archive, those relationships are purely commercial. So searching for say, "Kant" or "Usury" in Google Print will give you a very different set of answers to what you'd get from an authoratative archive.

Quite unlike a real library.

And here's the rub. The fact that Google now "sucks" is in a large part not Google's fault: Google simply reflects what it can see, and most of the Web is simply invisible to Google, as it now lies behind closed doors. Google's aggressive, but essentially dumb robots can only get so far. We're painfully aware that Google's lack of specificity leaves its robots chomping through thin air, dead pages, or trackbacks, more often than not.
    We will see what this search yields. Problem with this article is they do not tell you when Google will impliment this feature, rather go on and on how the Internet is not really an Internet. I guess that may be true, but I would like to know how Google will be a better Google.

Oh yes, the article's author does not seem to like Google too much and likes the DMOZ project better. Oh well, everybody has an opinion.

nice...but its not such a big thing lol...i think they should modify their search engine so it includes words like a, an, fo, from, in, to etc...
    that would be a great thing

/scriptkiddie18

Banned
    nice...but its not such a big thing lol...i think they should modify their search engine so it includes words like a, an, fo, from, in, to etc...
    that would be a great thing
    Do you have any idea how many miscellenaous search results you would get.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Searched the web for a._
    Results 1 - 10 of about 312,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,002. Search took 13.2 seconds.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman