Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wargames Complete Series: PDF

Why are all of you people saying 24 pages is a lot ?

im reading a C++ programming book that is over 900 pages, i got some stuff about cryptografy, cross-site scripting, reverse enginering that are all about 50 to 100 pages...

anyway, tnx for the nice pdf MsM, I have been looking forward to this pdf and will enjoy reading it
    http://members.home.nl/mcvay/mcvay_chobits_sig.jpg
    Im so good in bed, i moan my own name!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hehehe... sorry. Bad Acadian french on my part.

And it's long given that it's a simple tutorial. It's not a book certainly but for a tutorial it is a bit lengthy. It kind of surprised me how long it was. I figured it would have been about 5-8 pages. What it does come down to is this: is the content good, regardless of the length?

I don't know if there ever could be a "Wargames in a Nutshell" although if there was it would be something like:

Chp 1: Intro to security
    Chp 2: Intro to Networking/TCP/IP
    Chp 3: Windows Specific Issues
    Chp 4: Unix Specific Issues
    Chp 5: Other OS specific Issues (Mac/Novell)
    Chp 6: Network Security Devices: Firewalls, IDS, AVs
    Chp 7: Setting Up the Wargames
    Chp 8: Doing the Wargames
    Chp 9: Auditing/Reports on the Wargames
    Chp 10: Conclusions
    Appendix: Resources, Samples of Reports, Samples of Known, older Exploits, Index

Hrmmm...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Hehehe... sorry. Bad Acadian french on my part.
    What it does come down to is this: is the content good, regardless of the length?
    Just read the whole thing, and yes i do think it is good, you explain the steps to be taken pretty good, and it everything was very clear.
    http://members.home.nl/mcvay/mcvay_chobits_sig.jpg
    Im so good in bed, i moan my own name!

MsMittens, you rock and you are a babe!

I'm going to share this with some of our faculty.

I will make sure you get proper credit.

Thanks MsMittens, great post.

I got some little questions about your text. (pretty interesting imo, good job )

I want to make a little network for war games with friends and for testing IDS etc. etc.

If I want to make a setup like you suggested, with 4 computer :

router-ids-firewall
    dns-email
    ftp-web
    mysql-internal sniffer

What kind of computer do I need for that? (If using linux OR windows (NT, 2000, whatever))

Like.. With 4 486 would it be ok? 1 P II and 3 486? What do you suggest?

And what would be the topography of that? How do you connect with another computer/network?

Like {unknow network}->Firewall->hub->3 other computers?

Does the firewall need 2 ethernet cards?

Thank you very much!

It's entirely up to what you use as to what kind of hardware. Obviously if you use Win2K/WinXP you'll need at least PII/600+. Linux/Unix can go with easier machines (P100s and earlier if need be and if you are happy without GUI).

As for connecting the equipment depends on the network devices you have. Routers/switches/hubs would have different locations. I won't tell you how to set it up because that is part of the learning process (figuring out what the best layout is). Your setup would be one good way (makes it easier on the IDS to pick up everything but creates a more "unsecure" setup). The firewall/router doesn't necessarily need 2 ethernet cards as you could conceivably use IP aliasing but it's far better and less confusing to have 2 cards (there are some OSes that will balk at single cards for firewall/router usage).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Talking

Thank you !

Well, I think I'll buy 4 Athlon 2ghz (I got a good price for those), so It willl be "compatible" with Windows and easily with linux (There's no problems with Athlon and Linux?) , and it will give me some "room for manoeuvre" (can we say that in english? :| ). And I'm going to use wireless cards and a router (no cables everywhere in the place !). And it's not going to be connected on the net so I don't really worry about somebody hacking in my network (since it's wireless). Also, I already have 3 computers on a router so I'm going to plug it into the firewall for testing exploits etc. Do you think it will work?

Actually, using the wireless should allow you to see the flaws in it. But remember to be careful with wireless as you don't want your "wargame" machines to be attacked by someone (and potentially opening up the connection to the internet).

AFAIK, Linux is just as happy with AMD as with Intel (I haven't used AMD machines before with it but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be supported).

As for connecting them into the firewall for exploit testing I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Have fun!

Thanks ! I'll try to make some report and post them in the newbie section, even if my english is not that good.