Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closing open ports manually

Closing open porst manually

Im wondering if anyone knows if there is away to close open ports at the command prompt in using windows 2000 pro ?

Thanx

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There is no way to randomly open ports - something has to be listening there for it to be open. You would use the command line to start a service that will open the port.

Net Start xxxxxxx would open ports if there is a service named xxxxxxx in the registry or simply typing the program name of a program that listens on a port such as NetCat with the appropriate switches would open a port.

Other than that you are out of luck. The only reason a port is open is because an app is sat behind it listening for communications with the port. Otherwise nothing can reply to the communication and the port would be determined to be closed.

[Edit] Ooops.... I gotta learn to read...... "close open ports"......

Net Stop xxxxxxxx wil shut down the service that has the port open and you can use the kill app that comes off the resource kit I beleive to kill other app/processes.

[/Edit]
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO French Antique News Whore
    Close the program or service that listening to it. Or get a firewall like ZoneAlarm who free!

Edit : Tiger beat me to it! About 30s before I do!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

(suggestion)ZoneAlarm ........................Even though Ive used in the past(2yrs ago) no problems. To many people at AO are personally typing statements that the use of ZA can cause unstability in your system.

Yeah, because it uses much of the recources of your system and specially RAM. Well personally i find it the best in comparison to Sygate Firewall. I also have heard of Tiny Firewall and i have heard that it is very good...

Yes you can manually close ports.
    In the advanced LAN settings there should be a options tab, here you can close ports manually.

Originally posted here by erpa1119
    Yes you can manually close ports.
    In the advanced LAN settings there should be a options tab, here you can close ports manually.
    Correction. That is filtering a port. The program is still listening for connections on that port, however in most cases data will simply never get there.

Also, the TCP/IP filtering only stops incoming connections. If you have some kind of spyware sending info out that port, the built-in filtering will do squat.

Closing a port = terminating the listening application
    Filtering a port = blocking it at a firewall level

I realize u're running Win2K, but here's a link to shut some services down in XP.
    There's quite a few services the same.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guid...xpservices.php

In th lan advanced settings you can only permit a port. But you first have to disable all, then permit the ones you want, one by one. This gets involving.

win2k and sygate personal pro works perfecly you can set your own rules for it and no problems hehe
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of