Thread: boot.ini

boot.ini

i found a file on my c drive at school,
    boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

if i edit this can i get other programs to load when the computer boots?

Elite Hacker
    Definetly wouldn't do that if I were you. First off I think that's the wrong file, and second, you would probably end up making your computer not able to boot. Also, you should never change any settings at a school computer, at least not without asking someone qualified to give you permission.

Well, AFAIK, to make a program boot when your computer boots, i think you would have to edit the autoexec.bat. and Why are you trying to load a program on start up at a school computer? (as there may people who might exploit this information for slightly less *noble* purposes )

[edit] dont try editing your autoexec.bat without making sure you know what your doing...you can really mess up a box, believe me i know [/edit]
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    No you can't unless you install a whole OS somewhere else.

Boot.ini is not a file you should be playing with. You will trash the machine unless you know what you are doing and the appropriate resources are actually available.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO French Antique News Whore
    If you modified this file, your computer will not boot up!

If you want program tio start when the computer boots, put them in your Start Menu under Start Up Folder.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sigh. To find out what you can (and can't do) with the boot.ini visit Microsoft's Q99743 page on it. Basically, a boot.ini file (found on NT/2K/XP machines) is used to boot up the OS and may be used to boot up other OSes (commonly Linux). You can alter the file to optimize the boot sequence or deal with hardware changes. Other than that, it's not used to load up other programs.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

As I recall, this file is intended purely for "boot", as opposed to "post", that is when the operating system, user profile and startup programs load?

You will notice that it gives you two options which are basically SVGA and VGA video mode?

Sometimes with NT you can find that you get a black screen and "out of range" message. You re-boot into VGA so you can reset the video settings to ones that are supported. Look on it as a sort of "safe mode"

I may not be entirely correct, (been a while since I used NT4) but basically the file isn't used to load applications software and as already advised, you shouldn't mess with it. As Tiger Shark points out, if the resources haven't loaded (which a lot will probably not) all you will do is crash your machine

Take care

at school there is thie one comp in a classroom that when it boots it goes to this program someone wrote in c or somehitng, its like a matrix thing, it says wake up neo, then it says follow the white rabbit,then a knock knock,then it boot windows, i was trying to figure out how they get it to run everytime the computer boots

I am guessing again.................if it were an NT4 or similar box, that could be invoked via the login script? That is what we used to use for messages and stuff. Not that efficient I would have said, but it works

You don't say what your OS is or if you login via a personal or "guest/allusers" profile. If your profile is on the server it could call and run a program from just about anywhere on your net?

I am sure Tiger Shark can advise you better as he is more knowlegeable and current than myself.

/me just goes to meetings and eats biscuits/drinks coffee

I won't recommend how I would investigate, as I do not want to get you into trouble.

Might I suggest that you do a really terrible thing? Politely ask one of the Sysadmin team how this is done? You might be pleasantly surprised as to what nice guys they really are? But do not do this if you are already on their list of "usual suspects"

Cheers

its NT 4 i think, my programming teacher is a sys admin, hes nice, also a EQ addic,
    but he lets us get away with programing fake login screens and such