Thread: Need Help

Need Help

I found a file named CLDMA.log on my Windows ME system in the C:\. It occupied 2.05 GB of hard disk space. I check its properties and found out it is created and modified on Monday, January 06, 2003. I want to delete it since it is a log file but I afraid it will cause problems on my computer as I do not know which program generated it or is using it. I am sure that my system is not infected with any known viruses since I have two updated antivirus. Can anyone give some advice or info?

I also found a file cltest.txt in C:\ which is 100 MB in size, should I delete it?, anyone know what program created it? I checked its properties and is created on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 and modified on Tuesday, January 07, 2003.

Thanks for your reply!

Sounds like you use AOL.

Re:AOL (Score:1)
    by Anonymous Coward on Tuesday March 20, @08:42AM (#352127)
    aol has acouple of programs that regularly check the serial numbers of the software you have installed; all that info used to be in a file that got put in the system root directory; Thats why I use netscape. If netscape is doing this, they're at least trying to hide it; The devil I don't know is better than the one I know? Any way, the worst ones are DVD software. There are all kinds of monitoring programs with these, seems like a different version for each, but they all include MS serial numbers. Hell, even my cirrus logic modem has one of these; It puts a file called CLdma.log that has all this info in it as well. This gets sent after install as well, but none of the monitor programs I have show to who. (need better one, I guess.
    This is from Slashdot

Now you can decide if you wish to delete it or not.

[EDIT] http://dvdsoft.hotmail.ru/cinemaster.html has the followinf info on CLTEST.TXT.
    cinemaster
    ... CLTEST.EXE (From PowerDVD 1.3 package) Put a DVD disk in the drive, wait for the
    light to go off, and run this applet. It creates a file in C:\CLTEST.TXT. ...
    dvdsoft.hotmail.ru/cinemaster.html - 78k - Cached - Similar pages
    From a google search http://www.google.com/search?hl=&cat...=&q=cltest.txt {/EDIT]
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Elite Hacker
    That is just wierd, a 2 gb log file, and a 100 mb text file. That is huge. I would do a scan for viruses. Have you tried opening the file in a text editor? I don't know if you can open a 2 gb file in a text editor or a 100mb file. left click once, then hold shift and right click the file. Then do open with and find your best text editor and try and open it.

I found some stuff with google
    CLTEST.EXE
    (From PowerDVD 1.3 package)
    Put a DVD disk in the drive, wait for the light to go off, and run this applet.
    It creates a file in C:\CLTEST.TXT.
    Besides a whole lot of info regarding your hardware and drivers, at the end of the
    file you will find info about your DVD movie, namely: Whether the movie is copy protected
    (i.e. CSS scrambled) and what region limitations (if any) there are to play that movie.
    I have noticed that a lot of DVD's that have a region printed on the back of the case
    are in reality region free, or they support more than just one region.
    source: http://dvdsoft.hotmail.ru/cinemaster.html

aol has acouple of programs that regularly check the serial numbers of the software you have installed; all that info used to be in a file that got put in the system root directory; Thats why I use netscape. If netscape is doing this, they're at least trying to hide it; The devil I don't know is better than the one I know? Any way, the worst ones are DVD software. There are all kinds of monitoring programs with these, seems like a different version for each, but they all include MS serial numbers. Hell, even my cirrus logic modem has one of these; It puts a file called CLdma.log that has all this info in it as well. This gets sent after install as well, but none of the monitor programs I have show to who. (need better one, I guess.
    source: http://slashdot.org/articles/01/03/20/1423223.shtml

(a) Start -> Programs -> Cyberlink Power DVD -> System Diagnosis -> Diagnostic.
    This will generate a file named "Cldma.log" file
    source: http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/c...aq.jsp?ID=1233

so maybe it's not a virus. Hope this helped.

edit
    groovicus, lol, we found the same slashdot article.

I don't have AOL but I have PowerDVD installed, although I never use it since a long time ago. Now then I know this stupid program 'eaten' up so much of my disk space. Thanks for the info!

you could always try renaming it something like CLDMA.log.bak

use your computer normally if after say a week nothing has given problems or looked for that file then delete it. If it causes errors you can just remove the .bak extension

v_Ln

Hi,

Is your real issue with these two files? They only take up 2.1Mb.

Or is it that you are running out of disk space, and are looking for things to safely delete?

I am running WinMe on this machine, and do not have the two files you mentioned, so they don't belong to the OS.

If it is a space problem, let me know, and I might be able to help, there is a lot of "redundancy" in a "typical" Me installation, and it just keeps growing

Cheers