Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with nortel switch

help with nortel switch

I have just aquired a used Nortell BayStack 450-24T Switch. It is a managed switch.
    This thing did get some water dumped last winter (leak in the roof).
    I just pulled it out of the closet and plugged it in to see if it'd work. It powers up, does a post, etc.

I have no idea how to configure it yet. I have the userguide... but I can't seem to connect.

I'm using hyper term, a serial cable from com1 on my pc to com port on switch, vt100 emulation, 9600,8,none,1, none.

Can someone have a look at this site and let me know if they are the correct settings? The userguide for the switch says xon/xoff for flow control, but this site says none. Neither of them work...

Also, when I power it on, all the ports just flash yellow/amber. Is that normal? There is nothing plugged into it yet...

http://www.peakaudio.com/CobraNet/BS450_setup.html

Anyone here have any experience with these things? Any quick tips/tricks/advise?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I've no experience with that very switch, but with many others...

Generally they are configured in manufacture with an default IP for LOCAL web management for the first time you connect.

You can either have a quick read in the user guide for any IP addys, or launch a scan on 192.0.0.0 /8..

its just an idea
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Thanks networker. I'll play more with it when I get it home and have some time over the weekend. (probably after the gf goes home for the night)

BTW: How have ya been? Don't see you around much anymore. You just lurking in te background now a days?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Ok, I got the correct cable. I was using all the wrong cables... <homer voice> Doh! </homer voice>

BayStack 450-24T Self-Test

CPU RAM test ... Pass
    ASIC addressing test ... Pass
    ASIC buffer RAM test ... Pass
    Port internal loopback test ... FAIL

Self-test detected a failure.
    FE000000
    Thats not good... is it?

Module requires Field Service attention.
    Hardware failures detected on ports. Ports disabled.
    Heh... no wonder it won't work...

Should I attempt a Field Service repair on my own?
    It got some water damage almost a year ago... time to crack this puppy open.

I can't do any more damage...

Ok, nobody here seems to be familiar with Nortel switches... if you are.. you aren't posting!

I have taken off the case. One side I can see where the water damage has been. Its very small and seems to be on just about 4 very small chips. I have't broken out the multimeter... but I have it near by...

It has built up some corrosion. I went and got some rubbing alcohol. 5% water, 95% alcohol.

Thats all I could get in the time that I've been trying to clean this up.

Since it cost me $0.00 and we were going to throw it out anyway... I figured what the hell....

I have cleaned up all the corosion. It looks very good.

I'm going to give it another 20min or so to dry up. Its pretty dry from what I can tell anyway. I didn't use a lot and I used q-tips to apply with one side, then dry with the other, along with air.

I'm hoping for the best!!!

/me runs off to pray to the electronics god that this works.

Its as $2500 piece of equipement that I'd love to add to my collection of networking equip. It'd be a great piece of hardware to add to my network. Especially since I'm planning my honeynet.

I got a bit jelous of the hardware soaking up so much alcohol and I got myself some Red Bull, Vodka, and white cranberry... I'm def. feeling a nice buzz after about 6 25oz glasses. sooo good. *burp*

Ok... still have the POST test failing on me... its so weird.

Its only one part failing (see post above).

What the hell do I do now?!

Ok, now I have taken the motherboard out of the box. I saw a little more corrosion on the bottom. I have taken an old toothbrush to it to get all the junk off. I used more rubbing alcohol and everything looks perfect.

I'm still getting the errors.

I saw someone else who was getting similar errors (google groups), but supposedly due to the firmware version. It doesn't look like I can do an upload of the new firmware. It wants to download it from a tftp server, but I can't set the ip address for some reason, and the ethernet ports are disabled.

Anyone know how to xfer data to it over the console cable for these switches?
    I have done it with other versions switches xmodem via hyperterm...

Still can't get it to work....

I have found out that I can get another one just like this for $150-200... so I may just put this thing aside for spare parts if I need it... or take the sledge hammer to it. The hammer will probably be more phun.

Wait... I think I have some 1/4 sticks of TNT around here somewhere... 4 of those strapped to the board with a nice fuse... hmm... nah, 8 1/4 sticks make 2 whole sticks... think that'd be enough? Might need some gas too... pour all the ingredients in it... put the lid back on it and watch that puppy jump into the air...

/me runs off to find out...

/me also wonders why I'm the only one posting in this thread....

/me likes talking to himself...

WOW...hmmm ever heard of [edit] LOL
    damn 7 post one after another....ok w/e