Thread: Nforce2 and redhat 9 lan wont work.

Nforce2 and redhat 9 lan wont work.

I rsently setup redhat 9 on my new nforce2 system. Redhat found the sound and Usb and all that on install, but didnt find the lan, I thought no problem I will just go get the Nvidia drivers, well I did that and it still doesnt work. It added the driver as a mod, but it just keeps coming up and saying cannot find card. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. As a last resort I am going to just trow a 3com I have sitting around in but I would rather just use the on board.

My machine:
    MSI Nfroce 2 Delta
    Geforce 4 ti 4200

Dual boot xp and redhat 9
    /dev/hda xp
    /dev/hdb redhat 9

Well thanks for your time
    Phil
    Ruffasdagut

Yep I had the same exactl problem with the nforce 2 on a gigaybyte motherboard.

What I did, was I bought a $15 Network Everywhere NIC, put it in and Red hat recognized it perfectly. You might try that.

Now also I believe theres a new kernel out 2.6.0 you might try downloading it and see if is supports your NIC better. I do believe that many people had problems witht the nforce chipset.

So either get the new kernel and see if it helps or buy a NIC.

Thats all the advice I have.
    =

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    Yep I had the same exactl problem with the nforce 2 on a gigaybyte motherboard.

What I did, was I bought a $15 Network Everywhere NIC, put it in and Red hat recognized it perfectly. You might try that.

Now also I believe theres a new kernel out 2.6.0 you might try downloading it and see if is supports your NIC better. I do believe that many people had problems witht the nforce chipset.

So either get the new kernel and see if it helps or buy a NIC.

Thats all the advice I have.
    I dont think Redhat and Suse are going to incorporate the new Kernel until mid 2004.....

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...1218023149.htm
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Ahhhh....

Well in that case, then your best bet would probably be to buy a cheap NIC.

I tried everything I knew to get it to work with both Suse and RH, but couldn't get it to work, and in the end just bought another NIC and put it in.
    =

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I added a 3com and its working fine.
    Ruffasdagut