Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AV, Firwall combo

Question AV, Firwall combo

Hi,
    I was wondering which AV, Firewall combo I should buy for my XP?

Kerio WinRoute Firewall if you want to actually purchase one.
    There are plenty of free firewalls out there. Are you behind a router? Such as a Linksys? they will usually do the job for the average user.

A fun toy to learn an appliance firewall ( hardware ) is a webramp 700s made by sonicwall, you can get them on ebay for around $100, although discontinued, it'll still do the job

People on this site have praised Avast, a free anti-virus solution.
    If you're a paying person, go for Norton Anti-Virus.

My theory - U get what you pay for.

Well, i have tried many "security suites" and i can say that mcaffe virus scan and firewall is the best. Also, i find norton and zonealarm as a fine combo too.

I have to agree with legionaire, I been using the McAfee software and like it. I've also used norton. There is some free stuff out there if you are just a home user. One of my kids has all free stuff on the os and has had good luck. The best thing to do is go to google and sreach. Type in free Anti Virus and Firewall. You'll get all you need right there.

Marry CHRISTmas

Freddy
    cybnut

IMHO, kerio is a good firewall. Reliable, easy to configure, and hasnt failed me yet. While you could go out and purchase a some AV, there are plenty of free ones that do the job just as well (sometimes better). AVG is my personal fav. i used it with the norton that came preinstalled, and ive had less problems with AVG than with Norton. memory had a good list of free firewalls and AV, its as follows
    the most important thing, no matter what other people tell you, is to try as many as you can. keep the ones you like,the ones that dont give you so many problems, uninstall the ones you dont like. hope you find a good combo.s

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Personally, I don't think much of McAfee, but that is just my opinion.
    You might want to try CA's free,for one year EzArmor. Their antivirus engine combined with a firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    You might also wish to check out this artical: http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1750
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Now come on. What's the problem with McAfee?

Freddy
    cybnut

Its firewall,caused me to reformat and reinstall.....even after I had uninstalled the firewall. Probably just the configuration I was using, but I didn't appreciate McAfee's atitude when I informed them that I had a problem., And I have never had a similar problem, with any other firewall. Even the CA's free EzArmor (when I had a problem installing it) was quick to respond and helpful....unlike McAfee.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I never did use McAfee so i cannot really say...but i did use some other firewalls in the past but never found better combo than Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall....depends how someone likes the options, setting etc...

/scriptkiddie18

Well. I don't know why I don't put those links in my signature. It would be simpler.

AVG Antivirus: http://www.grisoft.com/
    Outpost Firewall: http://www.agnitum.com/

Both are free, both are excellent for home users. Nothing to add.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--