Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIM Virus

Angry AIM Virus

I just got a virus from aol instant messenger. It gives my comp a lot of pop-ups even when I'm not online. There are also toolbars that I did not install. I think some of the toolbars and things could be spyware. I am a noob please help me.

Sounds like you've got some adware on there.

Download Spybot Search and Destroy to get rid of spyware and adware and such, its my favorite choice.
    http://security.kolla.de/

Download AVG to get rid of viruses and trojans, its not flashy or anything but it gets the job done.
    http://grisoft.com

Both are free, and you might want to download a firewall incase you've gotten a trojan, and they're always nice to have.

Get the free ZoneAlarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com

You should do monthly or even weekly scans for these things to keep your computer clean.

Welcome to AO.

Well you might wanna install and run this program [ If you dont have it already ]:
    Ad-aware Standard Edition
    This program will check your computer for spyware.

I read that you said it was a virus ? Now have you scanned your computer with your anti-virus software ? Cause if you did it should display the name of the virus that it has detected. Is your anti-virus software up-to-date as well ?

Another thing what are the name[s] of the toolbar[s] which you are mentioning ?

This might be something that you might wanna check out aswell:
    Spyware Guide

Contains a lot of information :
    The Spyware Guide was created to provide an all inclusive and updated resource on spyware applications, what they do and how they’re used. These resources include: which software applications can detect and defeat spyware, an extensive database of all known spy software and adware applications and contact information as well as other privacy related products.
    You might wanna bookmark it you never know could come in-handy someday again.

But like status has said it sounds more like spyware. But you never know it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Get the free ZoneAlarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com
    NO NO NO! DO NOT GET ZONE ALARM! it is nothing but trouble. for a free firewall, get kerio. better protection, less hassle.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

the aim virus you are speaking of (as far as i know) is actually classified as a trojan or worm . i am assuming that this is the one you get from clicking the link in a persons profile by clicking on a link that says "look i found %n's picture here" or something like "look at this amazing site" there are three versions of the virus... .one is realphx, one is buddypicture and the other i forget... but if you search google you can find fixes. spybot s & d finds realphx but i don't know about the otheres....

here is a link that provides on fix... that i think works for all three...
    http://aim.thespear.net/
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

First of all, thank you all very much,
    I have downloaded ad-aware and spybot S&D. Spybot works perfectly, but Ad-aware keeps not responding and I have to force it to quit. I will keep trying though. 1 thing I forgot to mention b4 is that my "system" window appears when I turn on my computer. Is that part of the spyware/adware or is that a setting I can change?
    P.S. I think you guys are right, it isn't a virus technically

What OS are you running ad-aware on ? Windows 98 ? XP ?
    You can try these :
    [1] Do a search for *.tmp files and delete them
    [2] Defragment your computer
    [3] Try Re-installing it again

Not much else that I can think of. Maybe someone else can suggest something better. Any other suggestions ?
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I reinstalled it and it works fine now, thanks I have windows ME

what really bothers me, though, is that "system" window pops up when I start the computer.
    Can anybody give me some advice on that?

Now does that system window have like any name at the top ? What does it look like ? Does it say anything on it ?
    Operation Cyberslam
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam