Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ip routing enabled

ip routing enabled

I have a windows 2000 professional on a client system in a small network. Recently I ran adaware and windows washer on the system. Immediately after that some message popped up which said something like this "services shutting down, windows will shut down in 60 seconds".I don't remember exactly,but it was similar to what I mentioned.
    Since then my internet stopped working.I checked everything,everything including the ip configurations and all the settings seem to be intact. But the internet page expires.I tried the " tracert" and found that it works, I am able to ping. One thing I found interesting was, the ip routing enabled shows yes in the ipconfig /all. But when I checked it in the registry,I found that it was disabled.Is it something to do with that.If so, how do I fix it. Even Netscape doesn't work.Not even messenger.I am able to ping an external ip.All other systems on the network are working fine.

Can somebody help me?

Regards

Ram

is it like a op-up message saying windows will restart in 60 seconds and counting down...is that what you mean...you can stop it by going into dos and typing shutdown -a
    is this what you mean...if not explain your situation a bit more and ill gladly help ya out

/scriptkiddie18

Banned
    Did you download ad-aware or washer from a not trustworthy source? Those signs are pretty familiar with the MS Blaster signs, try running an AV and update us.

btw adware and and washers wont do nothing to you if they are not up to date so you might wanna check and update if necesary and then scan your system again

Is this happening just when you run Ad-Aware and Windows Washer? Or is it on every start up? If it is only when Ad-Aware is run, the simplest answer would be to not use it. Try Spybot S&D. If you get the same results, i'd update my virus defs and scan my system (you should probably do this in safe mode, just to be safe). I agree with memorY when he said it sounds like blaster, but didnt blaster do that on start-up? maybe a variant? Or maybe just some mal-ware that snuck it's way on to your computer? I had a problem like your internet one once, i couldnt find a solution, so i just threw up my hands and reformatted. After that i had no problems. Hope it doesnt come to that...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

ip routing enabled

The message came only once.Yes, it was a popup and it came only once.It popped up the first time I ran the adaware and washer.I scanned the system with antivirus.I did check for the blaster worm.I did not find any worm. I downloaded adaware and the washer from www.downloads.com, which are reliable sites. I downloaded them just before I used them.So they are the updated softwares.
    I still don't get my internet back.But before the page expires internet explorer shows the error " winnt/system32/shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm....".This error is displayed before the page expires.Is there a problem with the registry. If yes, can I repair the registry using the windows 2000 cd repair option.Thank you for your help.
    Kindly guide me.

Banned
    Microsoft has stated that this problem occurs when the dial-up networking entries in the registry get corrupted. The cause of the corruption has not been identified, but it can occur after various actions that have affected Dial-Up Networking. Adding a new network adapter or TCP/IP protocol, or upgrading from one level of operating system to another (e.g. Windows 95 to Windows 98) are situations that could cause this problem.
    The 'fix' for this situation requires unloading Dial-Up Networking from the computer. Deleting registry entries related to Dial-Up Networking. Finally re-installing Dial-Up Networking to restore the correct registry information.
    http://www.tek-tips.com/gpviewthread...ev2/67/lev3/70

there are some answers

query

Thank you for your help MemorY.
    I don't use dial up network. As I said, I have a T1 connection.
    Can I still follow the procedure.
    Is the procedure for windows 98 or any operating system.
    Because I have windows 2000 pro on the system.
    Please Help.

Yes you can just modify the registry by these steps from MemorY's Site

Click Start / Run, type in the word regedit, then click OK.
    When the registry opens, on the toolbar, select 'Registry', then select 'Export Registry File.'. Save the entire file (Export Range= 'All') to a suitable location (the Desktop is fine). This action backs up the registry into a file that can be restored in case
    something goes wrong during this procedure. You can import this registry file back if necessary.
    CAUTION: MODIFYING THE REGISTRY CAN CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER TO BECOME INOPERABLE. BE CAREFUL.

Perform the following sequence of steps; click 'YES', if asked, when deleting:
    · Click + on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
    · Click + on 'System' below that,
    · Click + on 'CurrentControlSet' below that,
    · Click + on 'Services' below that,
    · Highlight the 'Winsock' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
    · Highlight the 'Winsock2' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
    · Locate the 'VxD' folder above where the Winsock folders were (still inside 'Services'),
    · Click + on 'VxD',
    · Highlight the 'AFVXD' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
    · Highlight the 'DHCP' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
    · Highlight the 'MSTCP' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete',
    · Highlight the 'Winsock2' folder below, right click the mouse, then select 'Delete'.

Exit the registry editor.

Thank you scriptkiddie18 , I will try this out.

I Hope it works.