slackware boot up

Thread: slackware boot up

slackware boot up

I have installed Slackware on me computer. I have everything setup right when i go to start up slackware for the first time it loads everything and it stops and asks to login. So i login as root and then it just gives me a command prompt. and just sits there and waits for me to tell it what to do enyone got eny info on this? I have a 533 celeron procssor. 64 mb sdram. if u need enymore info ask. thanks
    EHU

If you want a graphical user interface, trying typing:

startx

at the command prompt.

IIRC, computers don't do things on their own, you have to give them an instruction in order for them to complete a task.

BTW, you really shouldn't login as root unless you are installing some software (even then it's usually better to use the su command). If you haven't created another user, the adduser (or useradd) command will do this. It's well documentated in the man pages (man adduser).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Thanks I feel really dum. It is working now and i made a new user. just for the book y dont yea wanna log in as root all the time?
    EHU

Because if you type something by accident you could wipe your entire system. For example, if you logged in as root and executed the command:

rm -rf /

you would delete all of your files. Not a good situation to be in when you have a coursework deadline the next day.

The major benefit of Linux over Windows (excluding 2000 and sometimes XP) is that you can login as a restricted user and no matter how hard you try, you won't be able to damage core aspects of the system. If you're a newbie and don't really know what you're doing, you're effectively providing yourself with a safety net by not logging in as root.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Thanks alot for the help and explaning to me y not to log in as root instead of calling me a newb.
    EHU