Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-sensical post count

Non-sensical post count

Just a quick thought - would there be anyway of exporting/moving the non-sensical thread from the GCC forum into a conference room?? The key to which could be posted publicly so anyone could join - that way posts made in the thread dont count

and people can still access it just to talk crap - so that it doesn't start spilling out elsewhere in the forums??

just an idea not sure if possible

v_Ln

In other words a place to flame each other. lol

I highly doubt you could move it to a conference room.. but here's my idea ..

take all post counts out of that thread.. all counts removed even from the past.
    then we'd see some folks post count decrease by greater than 50 percent.
    I'm not trying to sound holier than thou.. but I wouldn't lose a single count.

yeah i might drop down to 2000 - lol

i think they have looked at that but it is not easily done.
    mnstgrl was saying that it would be very difficult for them to make a forum so that posta dont count never mind localising it to one thread - but a sconfrence rooms are already set up that way it may be easiesr to move the data across into one of them

v_Ln

Banned
    I think it's a good idea. But they should put a link to the conference room, people would get annoyed keying in a number everytime, if they can they should make the CR work witout a Room number. So it would be like a small link to the conference room.

Why do you need a key? I bookmarked a conference room, and I never had to key in anything? Or was that just a fluke?

Banned
    I though CR changes keys from time to time, my bad then. Then they can just put a link somwhere to the conference room so that everyone knows where to enter it.

Maybe you could just open a conference room, make a link to it the last post in the Non-sensical thread, and close it. It's really quite sad the number of people who've become addicts and seniors because they have 200+ posts in that one thread.

I would lose a few, maybe 20 or 30, but not as many as some would.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Banned
    I agree, something should be done. Took me since sept 2001 to get this many posts, minus the Non sensical posts I'd still be over 2,000 which I am happy with, those posts were just crap.

valhallen is right that it'd be difficult to exclude posts to a specific thread from user's post counts. It'd be even more difficult to apply such a change retroactively, and from a programming perspective, it just seems to be a bad idea. I think this is something which needs to be dealt with through policy rather than through changes to the site code.

Regarding conference rooms -- the keys don't change once they've been created. It's possible to bookmark a room and not have to key anything in to enter. I don't foresee any problems with moving this thread to a conference room. However, I think this merits a bit more discussion before any changes are made.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.