What is NTLFR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is NTLFR

What is NTLFR

My puter will not start has message: NTLFR missing press any key to restart
    pressing any key brings up same message I have windows XP home in a e machines box

I would appreciate any help possable on this matter

Banned
    is it maybe NTLDR ? If you have the WinXP home originall boot up CD, pop it in and start the PC with it. Do a Repair System from the CD.

yes sorry memory

Banned
    ok found some more info.

This is the cause:

Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
    Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
    Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
    Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
    Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
    Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP

If you have tried each of the above recommendations that apply to your situation and you continue to experience this issue it is possible you may have a seriously corrupted version of Microsoft Windows. Therefore we would recommend you reinstall Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

If you are encountering this issue during your setup you may wish to completely erase your computer hard disk drive and all of its existing data and then install Microsoft Windows 2000 / Windows XP.
    Hope it doesn't come to this.

Solution and the whole articles is found here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

yea i hope that it wont come to that either thanks and i will go to that link and check it out

E-machine......... lol

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I had this NTLDR fault, And for me, unfortunately, nothing worked, re-install required, So I took the opportunity to upgrade. HDD, CPU, MoBo. Every cloud has a silver lining ??
    Then, with the help of baby ? brother, figured out that I had screwed the system !! during a foray into upgrading drivers, "tweaking??" etc. This silver lining had a large cloud ?
    My OS at time W2K Pro, now fully patched, SP4, But still giving me grief. hope you fare better.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I guess that you figured out how to fix your problem, but I didn't see an actual answer to your question. To answer your question,. NTLDR is NTLDR.COM and that is the file that actually loads the operating system kernel (it's short for NT Loader, and the name is a throwback from XP's grandfather, Windows NT). The other file, NTDETECT, searches for device drivers to load during the initial startup process, among other things. As you have unfortunately discovered, the inability to load either or both of these files will prevent XP from starting.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Read these for more information:

"NTLDR is Missing Press any key to reboot" Error Message when booting Windows XP - Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

How to create a Windows XP boot disk on a system with a failed boot loader - Microsofr Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

The only time I have had this message is when the boot disk was set improperly in the BIOS. Just make sure that HDD0 is set as the boot disk (either 1st or 2nd). Also try enabling the "Boot from other media" or similar option in your BIOS, and chech the connections of the ribbon cables. On your e-machine, if it is a newer P4 or Athlon model, the primary hard disk controller will be the blue connector on the MB, not the black one. Make sure the drive cable is connected to that connector and that the Hard Drive is on the other end (not the middle on a 2 connector cable). Most all e-machines come with all brives configured to "Cable Select" and if the HDD is not connected to the end of the cable it will be recognized as "Slave" and not "Master", which will cause wierd boot problems.
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

G sus guys don't make this so complicated.

Take the floppy disk out of your drive and restart the computer.