MY Notebook problem....

Thread: MY Notebook problem....

Unhappy MY Notebook problem....

Hi all, I just bought new notebook "Packard Bell Easynote", the problem was I can't connect my notebook to internet. Usually I use connection wizard to configure the internet connection. The thing that I was wondering is how come the Option of "Connect using a dial-up modem" disabled. I totally no Idea how to fix it, so can somebody help me to settle this problem.

I've sent it to shop where i was bought it, but they also have no idea, then they ask me to sent it to NEC Servis Center, but have to take few days. So I tell them I want to fix it my ownself, becoz I need it as soon as possible.

Please help me. I sent the figure of my problem.

I would guess the option is grayed out because windows cant find your modem.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Does it have a modem built into it?

If you are sure it does then it may require enabling in the bios settings.

If it is enabled in the bios settings then it may need a driver before windows can see it - Got to control panel, find the device manager and then check to see if you have any devices with an exclamation mark or if the modem appears in unknown devices.

If this is the case then you will need a driver - You should have got a CD with your laptop that has drivers - Find the manual & follow the instructions for installing the drivers.

HTH

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Yes, I did check all the hardware, but error nothing...

Your problem may be the hardware then if you are still unable to get it working going through the hardware manager and doing all the steps that steve.milner gave you above. If re-installing the drivers that were given to you with the machine and checking the BIOS settings still gives you the same outcome then the hardware would be the next suspect.

You may want the place where you got your computer to put a new modem in your laptop. I personally have had issues with Packard Bell products and have decided to not work with them any more because of the hardware issues that their machines poses. It wouldn't surprise me if the modem is not working.

Have a happy holidays and a fantastic new years - cheers
    JP
    JP

are you sure your computer isnt trying to dial up as the default connection? in you are in 9x or ME, try going to start->run and type winipcfg . Select your network card from the drop down menu and refesh and renew its IP. That was a problem for me pretty often on my laptop.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

The Iceman Cometh
    It's a Windows problem. I had the same problem with a Compaq laptop I was fixing for a friend. I have actually found that, if the Windows installation process has a problem, it's actually a quite common problem. Reinstall Windows using whatever came with the machine. Most likely, when NEC did the install, something didn't complete properly and when they completed the installation, it disabled the ability to dial-up. I've found that reinstalling Windows again resolves the problem. Good luck.

AJ

Did you check if dial up networking (DUN) is installed properly. If not you computer will gray out that and the broadband ussually.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"