Thread: AO Addicts

Banned

AO Addicts

I think this has been mentioned before but i can't find it right now so here is a new thread.

Lately i saw memebers with One green dot entering the Addictc Forum, that means they are **** positng post wh0res. I'm taking ZigZap for example(nothing personal) he can watch what we post in the Addicts forum without having more then 100 Positive AP's. That should be changed, if it would be possible the admins should set it that a member needs 275 posts and like minimum 500 Positive AP's or whatever number the admin feel is right. That way we should somewhat stop post wh0ring because most of them post whore just to get to the AO Addicts forum. Let me know what you think about it.

I don't know.. I hardly think it matters much anymore. At first I thought it was a great honor and privledge to get access into there.. I used see it as a good place to discuss the actions of troublemakers and the posting the occasional malicious script to be kept out the eyes of scriptkiddies.. but let's face it.. entropy has taken it toll on the addicts forum. So that's why I say "it hardly matters much to me anymore".

ok, that was my "cynical side".. on my "hopeful side", I'll agree with your thoughts.

Banned
    Yeah i know things have changed, that why we should set the number as high as the admins want it. I'm not suggesting it now because i have many AP's. When i had 400 AP's i suggested it somewhere too and said to set it for more then 500 AP's. I think that should keep the Script Kiddies and p0st wh0res out till they earn the respect to enter. And because of that we should be a bit more critical when to give AP's out and not give AP's out because someone complimented us, come on i know all of us have done it.

This sounds likme a good idea, however I think it would only add to the problem of alliances. Right now, geenies don't really count for anything because they don't actually do anything. That would all change if antipoints started to be worth something other than the false assumption of respect.

I think placing a time limit on this forum would be better, say 275+ posts AND registration date before 1 or 2 years ago or whatever is agreed to be best.

Granted, 400 posts and one green dot pretty much identifies a "**** posting post whore", but if they've been here for one or two years without leaving or getting banned, they can't be all that bad.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

A registration date before 2 years ago would remove a lot of the post whores, but the problem is that it would also prevent a lot of members (including yourself and sumdumguy) who haven't been here as long as some of us "oldies" but have obviously contributed a lot to AO already.

Whichever way you look at it, you're either going to let some post whores in or prevent respected members from entering. It used to be that 275 posts was a significant amount and proved that you really were an AO addict, but that's no longer the case.

Basing it on APs would, as Striek correctly pointed out, only increase the number of AP alliances, just as raising the post count requirement would encourage post whoring.

The only definite solution to keep the post whores out for good is to have an invite-only forum, but then you bring in the problems of elitism and who is in charge of inviting members into the forum?
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

The only definite solution to keep the post whores out for good is to have an invite-only forum, but then you bring in the problems of elitism and who is in charge of inviting members into the forum?
    Indeed, good point about "elitism", it'll be the same as an alliance, it could result in allowing who you like.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

The current mods IMHO do a good job remaining unbiased (most of the time ), so I don't see that there would necessarily be an issue with "elitism"

Going by Memory's proposal, 275 post, 500 ap's, then leave it up to the mods to decide if those points were earned by being helpful or not. It's not too difficult for members that are on here regularly to know who contributes and who doesn't.

Of course, that's providing that the mods would care to be involved in something like that.

Banned
    I didn't think of AP alliances but i think we should be able to notice if there is one, and report it to intmon or msntrlgrl or jupman. Most of us know who what kind of stuff posts and if we notice that almost every post is positive i think we would be a bit suspcicious of that. But yeah every way you look at it has a bad side.

hehe...just like life. Sometimes you have to decide which is the lesser of 2 evils... possible "elite club" mentality, or post whores.

I think if it came down to it, someone who doesn't have many antipoints probably isn't going to get away with much in the Addicts forum anyway. (at least, not for long)

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    I don't know.. I hardly think it matters much anymore. At first I thought it was a great honor and privledge to get access into there.. I used see it as a good place to discuss the actions of troublemakers and the posting the occasional malicious script to be kept out the eyes of scriptkiddies.. but let's face it.. entropy has taken it toll on the addicts forum. So that's why I say "it hardly matters much to me anymore".

ok, that was my "cynical side".. on my "hopeful side", I'll agree with your thoughts.
    I have to agree here, nuff said ...
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby