Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1944 Bletchley Park dictionary

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    To Zonewalker : the thread was started by kisscool, but I feel another "Monty" beginning, and therefore surrender, but thanx 4 confirming Bletchley's possession of A computer !!!
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Zonewalker> Indeed, I was considering the possibility to raise the abacus case! Yes, I like to put some subjects until passing the nonsense line.

More seriously, I admit the validity (not absolute, don't dream please) of your point of view. The border is not easy to draw: We could say "neolithic age" about 17-18th century, and "modern age" after WW2.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

foxyloxley > ahhh.... well I have had a few drinks tonight so... ok.... whats the airspeed velocity... j/k

KissCool > well someone had to raise the bloody abacus case again and I could see it was just going to have to be me

I agree the border is not easy to draw so I'll go along with your neolithic and modern age idea... anyway I'm going to bed... have to do another family Xmas thing again in about 9 hours - but happily the Xmas treat of going to see the latest LOTR movie is also happening later
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I dunno whether anyone else searched for it when they read the artcile, but if you wack colossus rebuild project into google theres some interesting information about the reconstruction of colossus by 1 man, financed by his own money, very interesting.

I understand colossus to be the first proper "re-programmable" computer, but programming was done by re-wiring the arrays of valves, ive never messed with valves but i know they get very hot, i reckon theres an oppurtunity there for overclocking and cooling colossus...

Very interesting this anglo-franco discussion, pretty rare that theres only a limited about of nationalitys in a discussion

i2c

The first ever stored program computer was the Manchester Mark 1 (the Baby) developed by Williams & Kilburn at the Department of Computer Science, Manchester University. I have all the notes related to the development and the Colossus is mentioned somewhere.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

i2c> I agree with you: it's exceptional. Perhaps it is because Bletchley Park is not a well known name for americans.

I remembered the ABC computer suddenly, and even if I have not found the thread which speaks specifically about it, I found this post.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--